Photo

Answer Print from 16mm Reversal K40/K25?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

Is it possible if I mess up the exposure on 16mm reversal such as K40/K25 to get a print from it in the same way that you can print up or down when shooting on negative? If so is this this a simple (i.e. cheap) procedure to ask for?

Thank you.

#2 Dan Horstman

Dan Horstman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Washington, DC

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

You don't have nearly as much lattitude for Reversal films as you do with Negative. On the reversal it is pretty much what you shoot is what you get.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

Is it possible if I mess up the exposure on 16mm reversal such as K40/K25 to get a print from it in the same way that you can print up or down when shooting on negative? If so is this this a simple (i.e. cheap) procedure to ask for?

Thank you.

It is true that with reversal film, you have much less latitude for exposure. A slight underexposer is more acceptable than an overexposure. Meter for your highlights. A good DI could probably yield fantastic results, but how much do you want to pay? The photochemical route could possibly yield satifactory results but has its own inherent risks. Try really hard to nail the exposure and you'll be lovin life.

chris

#4 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:04 AM

thanks guys.

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

Thank you.

Projection contrast reversal films generally have less latitude than color negative films. As mentioned, on reversal films, you can usually tolerate a bit of underexposure better than overexposure, as with overexposure, you lose highlight detail on the "toe" of the film's characteristic.

Most 16mm reversal is either projected directly, or a telecine transfer is made. If 16mm prints are needed, you need to make an internegative, as Kodak no longer sells a color reversal print film.

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies