3 replies to this topic

#1 Kip Kubin

Kip Kubin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

I'm making a short film and want to use an older 16mm camera for the bulk of the shoot.

The film's look is patterned after a 70 documentary that used a CP 16R

My thought was to pick one up and film with that but I want to know if there are any problems with that camera or it anyone thought a ACL or NPR might be a good alternate choice.

I will be recording sound. If an NPR was high on people's list I could pick one up with a new motor that would sync.

Thanks for your help

Kip

PS:I already have a Bolex and just wan't to add variety to my cameras. That's why I didn't include it on my list.

#2 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hi, Kip,

The electronics in CP-16s are becoming more difficult to find. The chips are proprietary and will never be made again. I think you can get an NPR or an ACL quite cheaply these days, and they are both sound sync cameras (if you get a crystal motor with the NPR; the ACLs have crystal motors).

Cheers,
Bernie

#3 Marcus Frakes

Marcus Frakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:20 AM

I went through this process and ended up with an Eclair NPR. It's built like a tank and heavy, so it depends on your shooting style if you are going to need lightweight, shoulder mounted shots. But you also need to look at the condition of any low-cost Eclair that's out there (30+ years old now). Mine had a crystal motor that wouldn't do 24 FPS. So I had to buy another. In the end, I'll have $4500 into it, including a conversion....getting a used Aaton would be great, but could you afford 10-15K?

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

If you act before Sunday night, I am selling my Arriflex 16SR package and the bid price right now is $3600. The SR is a production camera, and will give you years of trouble free shooting, and once converted to Super 16, with a PL mount, and you have a modern production camera. Just a thought.

Arriflex 16SR Package

-Tim

Posted Image

The Slider

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Abel Cine

CineLab