john jayapaul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:58 AM

hi everyone,

I am john and I live in india. I started working as a assistant cinematographer 2 months before. please help me, I am very new to cinematography. I need to know the basics and advance techniques, filters usage, lenses, film formats and camera details etc, I was a professional photographer and now I am in this profession, please help me guys. I am in desperate need.

thanks in advance

ban

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:41 AM

I'd start reading some cinematography books and then ask any specific questions here.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

hi everyone,

I am john and I live in india. I started working as a assistant cinematographer 2 months before. please help me, I am very new to cinematography. I need to know the basics and advance techniques, filters usage, lenses, film formats and camera details etc, I was a professional photographer and now I am in this profession, please help me guys. I am in desperate need.

thanks in advance

ban

If you already started working in the industry than you must realize that you can learn more in just a few days by working within it than what can be told to you on a forum. If I were to read between the lines you are concerned that you will be asked to do something that you don't know how to do or that you are not sure you are doing the right way. If that is the case then you need to find a mentor who can actually give you access to the very equipment and accessories that you will be using during an actual production.

#4 john jayapaul

john jayapaul

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

thanks for the reply guys.

But problem is that they dont tell me everything, which I want to know. when I asked for how to take reading with meter, they said it is not time for me to learn. I need to know how to take reading from meter, I have used meter for photography, but for cinematography they have a different way to work with. there is no shutter speed, how do they work out. sometimes they use iso setting and highslides for meter reading. can you guys explain me.

ban

#5 John Downs

John Downs

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

I suggest that you you read the Filmmaker's Handbook by Seven Ascher and Edward Pincus. It will help a beginner like you very much. The book includes the latest information on digital filmmaking and introduces a wide range of methods, equipment, and processes that every filmmaker must master to be knowledgeable and competitive. It will help you immensely.

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineTape

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post