#1 aledosius

aledosius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

i 'd like to buy a mini dv camera that i can shoot an underground documentary with. i don't really understand the whole "chp" system. but i do know that i would like something where i could attach a microphone.

of course, i'd like something fairly inexpensive.
any suggestions?

-a

Edited by aledosius, 02 September 2006 - 04:23 PM.

#2 Oscar Godfrey

Oscar Godfrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

I haven't followed mini DV technology much very recently but i'll tell you what i can. The cameras come in two major categories, single ccd (that is the part that recieves light) and 3ccd.

I have what was a top of the range single ccd camera and it is quite good, but not really good enough for any professional work. If you can afford it get a 3ccd camera, not only do they have better picture quality but they also have more controls and better sound. A feature that i really wish my camera had is the ability to turn off digital sharpening. The top end has always been between sony and canon, personally i would stick to those makes.

I do not know much about HD but i know that you can get HD equivilent of the sony VX2000 for not much more money. HD is probably going to take the place of mini DV in terms of video cameras so it might be a better idea to go for that instead of mini DV. Also i know there are cheaper consumer HD cameras available but i don't know anything about them.

#3 aledosius

aledosius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

thank you! i'll look ino this.

I haven't followed mini DV technology much very recently but i'll tell you what i can. The cameras come in two major categories, single ccd (that is the part that recieves light) and 3ccd.

I have what was a top of the range single ccd camera and it is quite good, but not really good enough for any professional work. If you can afford it get a 3ccd camera, not only do they have better picture quality but they also have more controls and better sound. A feature that i really wish my camera had is the ability to turn off digital sharpening. The top end has always been between sony and canon, personally i would stick to those makes.

I do not know much about HD but i know that you can get HD equivilent of the sony VX2000 for not much more money. HD is probably going to take the place of mini DV in terms of video cameras so it might be a better idea to go for that instead of mini DV. Also i know there are cheaper consumer HD cameras available but i don't know anything about them.

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

CineLab

CineTape

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly