#1 David Calson

David Calson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Other
  • Georgia

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi, what's the cheapest I can expect to pay for a good boom mic/pole? What are some reliable brands? Also, if anyone has the DVX100, how is the extra added mic when it comes to picking up sound? Thanks in advance.

#2 Shane Bartlett

Shane Bartlett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nashville

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

I use a variety of Sennheiser mics (shotguns, mostly) at school with my DVX100B, and the sound quality is of course much better. More selective. As you know, the DVX onboard mics pick up a fairly wide spread, which is great if all you want is ambience (but even that will be dirty, usually beyond the point of usefulness). Some people like to use a shotgun on one channel, and the onboard mic for the other. Personally, I prefer to plug the shotgun into both XLR ports via a splitter (we call them pigtails). To my ear, the discrepancy in sound quality between a good mic and the onboards is too large to match.

These Sennheiser mics price anywhere from $250 to several thousand dollars. Like everything else, it depends on your budget and the type of sound you want to capture. Although I pay a lot of attention to sound, I am really not a sound guy, so I'm sure someone else can give you more precise guidance in selecting a sound kit.

#3 Peter Tripodi

Peter Tripodi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student
  • SF Bay Area

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:08 AM

Don't use the onboard mic, unless you want the 'home movie' vibe in your mix.

You don't need both channels on the camera because it's not stereo, if you only use one mic. When you capture it will only be two mono tracks. There should be a setting on your cam so you can hear the single track in both sides of the headphones.

try and at least get a ME66 or an AT835B. a little info:

http://www.lafcpug.o...hotgun_mic.html

better poles are strong as well as light, but you can get away with a cheaper pole (make you own) and spend more on a blimp or a softy (and a GOOD shock mount, cheap ones squeek). If you shoot out side you 'll be glad you did.

Good luck

Also, if you have two mics, two booms or a boom and a lav, then using both channels are a plus.

But no matter what you use, don't over drive the preamps in the camera. if it sounds bad in the head phones, it probably sounds bad, and you'll never fix it in post no matter how many plugins' you have.

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products

CineTape

Glidecam

Metropolis Post