#1 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:30 AM

Hi,

At the end of the day I always shortend what is left on the mag and sign off the sheets everyday.

I was recently working on a low budget shoot where they were not going to send off the rushes until the end of the shoot.

The DP asked me to not bother short-ending and to 'just continue tomorrow' with the mags.

What is the correct procedure to do this? i.e. with the date on the sheets, date on the board etc?

Should I just write 'continued from previous date' on the information section?

THanks

#2 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

When you leave a mag to be used later, you write on the report "IP" or "In Progress" at the place you left off and change the strip of tape on the case where you store the mag to say "IP @ 250" (or wherever you left off). Put labels on the mag too (IP @ xxx), as if you were putting up a short end, because, essentially, when you start the next day, you are starting with a short end. For inventory purposes, I would change the date on the camera report and mag label to the day that you finish shooting the roll, because it doesn't enter your inventory sheet until you finish shooting it. The date on the slate should be the actual date. No need to make the date on the slate match up.

#3 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

For camera sheets, if nothing's going in until the end, then I'd advise just continuing the sheets as if it were a one-day shoot. Keep it simple and compact, especially as nothing is getting separated through different days and baths.

#4 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

The only time I would leave a hot mag was when it was a scene that we were to continue shooting the next day. If you finish a scene then it makes sense to send everything off to the lab, since the editor will want to get all the footage at the same time.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hi,

This becomes an issue when shooting data, since you don't want to offload a mag when it's half full. I've seen elaborate paperwork systems in place to deal with this, which I think rather defeats the object.

Phil

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Wooden Camera