DNxHD workflow question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Brett Waszkelewicz

Brett Waszkelewicz
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

I will be editing an HD project soon (telecined from 16mm) and would love to use the *miraculous* Avid DNxHD codec, but am not sure if it will work for me.

What I plan to do is capture footage from HDCAM SR into Media Composer at a Post House, export it as a file onto a harddrive, and do all the editing and finishing using Xpress Pro at home. When I'm done editing, I will want to export a Quicktime file from Xpress Pro from which all the different deliverables will be made.

So will this work? I know Avid can be very finnicky as to what it will and won't do, regardless of whether it *can. I know I can import 8-bit DNxHD files into Xpress, but can I then export edits of those files in any format, or can I only export MXF files to be used in a more expensive Avid?

Two more smaller queries: Will the file from Media Composer be a Quicktime, or will it be a straight MXF? i.e. will I be able to import it into After Effects or something if I wanted to? And, assuming I can export a Quicktime from Xpress using the DNxHD footage, should I export it using the same DNxHD compression, or should I do uncompressed? Thanks for your time and any help in advance.

Edited by Brett Waszkelewicz, 06 September 2006 - 01:58 PM.

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

CineLab