Soft Glowing Highlights Look

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

I'm looking to get that soft glowing highlights look from old 50s glamour shots of women, or something like Sky Captain and the world of tommorow, and there is a sequence in Big Fish where Edward talks to the small girl at night by the lake in the forrest they have the same glowing look. My question is how do I accomplish this I'm guessing I should use a lot of soft lights from either umbrellas or softboxes and do I blow the highlights right out? Is it better to use a soft filter or can this look be obtained in post? I have a Panasonic gs400, and editing with adobe premiere.

thanks

Luke

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

Hi,

Sky Captain was shot pretty clean and done in post; I like the way it looks. A Promist filter, particularly a Black Promist, can create something of a similar effect, but of course that becomes difficult if you're doing any bluescreen work. I would use a filter that's somewhat more subtle than what you're going for, then finish the look in post. It's easy enough to do - you can try it in photoshop. Take a photo, duplicate the layer, blur the upper one and then use a transfer mode such as screen or multiply. Play with Levels on the upper layer until you like what you see. Screen will give you glowing highlights; Multiply will give you smoky blacks.

The Foundry make a filter called Diffusion which does both of these in one hit, although it uses a true Gaussian blur and is quite the render hog. You can use cheaper box or cubic blurs, such as "Fast Blur" in AE.

Phil

#3 Lukeo

Lukeo
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I knew for sure Sky Captain was heavy in post production effects, I didn't know if there was some special filter or anything. Thank you.

As far as Duplicating the layer, I know how to do that, and adjust opacity, and I know how to apply blur, and everything but I'm not sure I know what the transfer modes you were talking about are screen and multiply? I'm on adobe premiere elements 2.0, it has most of what adobe premiere the higher version has, but I don;t know if it has screen or multiply? Is there a similar button or control I'd have, or a similar way to do the effect?

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

Don't know about Elements - that sort of thing became a lot harder in Premiere Pro anyway.

In Pro, you'd duplicate your video track, apply a blur filter to the top one, and then apply the composite filter set to "screen". I don't know what of those tools you have access to in Elements, though.

Suggest you, cough, "obtain" the full version.

Phil

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC