#1 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hello,

I'm doing a little short soon on the Z1.

As an experiment I was thinking of over-exposing a little -maybe around a 1/3 to half a stop -but not enough to loose detail then grading back down to normal exposure (using Digital Film Lab or something similar) in order to make the blacks a bit blacker.

Is this advisable? should I just expose normally? Can video handle this or would I open up a bad nest of grainy snakes?

thanks

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

The thing that you have to worry about is when you overexpose your 1/3 of a stop, that you don't have highlights in the frame that are allready blowing out, or on the verge of blowing out.

You must keep an eye out for your whitest white while shooting. If you need detail in those whites, then you are going to have to find an average aperture setting, or boost up the light in the room to compensate.

If you have any understanding of Exposure lattitude or ratio, you should be fine. If you imagine that your key light to highlight ratio is under 3:1 then you should be fine, seeing as the highlights would bloom softly, and you should have some detail left.

If you find yourself in a situation that 1/3 or 1/2 of a stop isn't going to throw anything into the deep highlights, then go for it. You will find yourself with a slighlty saturated image, less noise, and more details. Then in post you can play with the mids and blacks, also the saturation to make a nice looking image.

Jamie Metzger

#3 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

If you find yourself in a situation that 1/3 or 1/2 of a stop isn't going to throw anything into the deep highlights, then go for it. You will find yourself with a slighlty saturated image,...

Maybe I've misunderstood you. How does over exposing (as originally suggested) give you a "slightly saturated image"?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:24 AM

Overexposing video isn't really going to give you better blacks -- blacks are a technical function of the level where you set them. The reason why many people don't set the blacks to their proper level is that they are trying to bring out more shadow detail, so the solution is to use enough fill light -- not more overall exposure -- so that you won't be tempted to lift the blacks in post in an attempt to unbury more detail.

Overexposing will give you more shadow information as well, so you can set the blacks at "0" and not lose detail in the shadows, but at the expense of bright highlight details. Some mild overexposure of video may also help with noise problems, but probably the better solution is to expose video normally with enough fill light and then add a little more contrast in post if necessary.

#5 Ken Cangi

Ken Cangi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Producer
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

I'm doing a little short soon on the Z1.

As an experiment I was thinking of over-exposing a little -maybe around a 1/3 to half a stop -but not enough to loose detail then grading back down to normal exposure (using Digital Film Lab or something similar) in order to make the blacks a bit blacker.

Is this advisable? should I just expose normally? Can video handle this or would I open up a bad nest of grainy snakes?

thanks

Refer to Dan Coplan's article Over/Underexposing Video http://www.dancoplan.com/

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio