Photo

Could anyone tell me the different between Arriflex 16M and 16BL?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hau-Jou Chiou

Hau-Jou Chiou
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Taiwan

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

I saw two camera on ebay.
http://cgi.tw.ebay.c...?Vi...A:IT&rd=1

They look very similar, so could anyone tell me the different between Arriflex 16M and 16BL?

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

I saw two camera on ebay.

They look very similar, so could anyone tell me the different between Arriflex 16M and 16BL?

Arriflex 16M was an in-between camera from the Arriflex 16S and the Arriflex 16BL. The 16BL is a self blimped camera and can be used for sync-sound recording. The 16M is not blimped, so it is just as loud as an Arriflex 16S, and cannot use the 100 ft internal film loads that a 16S can use.

My personal opinion, I would avoid buying an Arriflex 16M camera. Very few people can service that camera anymore because parts are no longer available. It also has an odd rubber gasket thingy (wasn't that a technical term?) that goes between the platine (main plate) and the body housing. This rubber rots after all these years and is no longer available to replace. And the rubber effects the setting of the flange focal distance on the camera. Overall, it is a real hassle, which is why hardly anyone will service the camera anymore.

Hope that helps,
-Tim

#3 Hau-Jou Chiou

Hau-Jou Chiou
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Taiwan

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

Arriflex 16M was an in-between camera from the Arriflex 16S and the Arriflex 16BL. The 16BL is a self blimped camera and can be used for sync-sound recording. The 16M is not blimped, so it is just as loud as an Arriflex 16S, and cannot use the 100 ft internal film loads that a 16S can use.

My personal opinion, I would avoid buying an Arriflex 16M camera. Very few people can service that camera anymore because parts are no longer available. It also has an odd rubber gasket thingy (wasn't that a technical term?) that goes between the platine (main plate) and the body housing. This rubber rots after all these years and is no longer available to replace. And the rubber effects the setting of the flange focal distance on the camera. Overall, it is a real hassle, which is why hardly anyone will service the camera anymore.

Hope that helps,
-Tim

Thank you, I understand. Another question, how about Arri 16S, is it better than 16M?

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

Thank you, I understand. Another question, how about Arri 16S, is it better than 16M?

Depends on what you mean by better. What are the advantages of the Arriflex 16S:
-It is more versatile.
-If you purchase one with a serial number above 15,000, ARRI INC will still service it.
-If you purchase one with a serial number below 15,000, I can service it for you using all original ARRI lubricants and set it back to Original ARRI factory specs.
-It has the option of using 100 ft internal loads, as well as magazines that will hold 200 ft or 400 ft loads.

The same Tobin crystal sync motor, variable speed motor, and constant speed motor work with both cameras. They both have the same movement mechanism. The Arriflex 16S does not have the rubber thingy issue. Overall, I would strongly recommend the Arriflex 16S or S/B over the 16M, unless you just love the look of the 16M and would like to mount it on your wall.

Just my opinion.
-Tim

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineTape

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab