1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

I have a quick question: I have just been hired to do a docu style interview for a magazine. They want to shoot a 2 camera setup with 2 HVX's. I have never used the camera before. I have only used DVX-100's. Also, let me preface this by saying I am NOT a cinematographer...I wouldn't even consider myself a videographer. I am a shooter. There is a difference!

What I want to know is this...Having never used the camera before, what type of package should I suggest? Is 2 cams, sticks, 4 mics (recording audio in camera) 2 mixers (do I really need them?) and a very minimal lighting kit. Is that sufficient? Also, because of P2 cards being used, I should hire 2 pa's to serve as Camera Assitants/Loaders to dump the P2 cards.

Sorry for the newb question!

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

I have a quick question: I have just been hired to do a docu style interview for a magazine. They want to shoot a 2 camera setup with 2 HVX's. I have never used the camera before. I have only used DVX-100's. Also, let me preface this by saying I am NOT a cinematographer...I wouldn't even consider myself a videographer. I am a shooter. There is a difference!

What I want to know is this...Having never used the camera before, what type of package should I suggest? Is 2 cams, sticks, 4 mics (recording audio in camera) 2 mixers (do I really need them?) and a very minimal lighting kit. Is that sufficient? Also, because of P2 cards being used, I should hire 2 pa's to serve as Camera Assitants/Loaders to dump the P2 cards.

Sorry for the newb question!

Hi,
I do these set-ups frequently so the one thing I'd suggest FIRST is to arrange a very large room for the shoot. Producers never think of that in advance.

Second, for a sit-down interview, I'd suggest you have a Firestore FS-100 for each camera so you don't have to stop every few minutes to swap out P2 cards (which shakes the camera and requires an extra person):

http://www.focusinfo...alog.asp?id=150

Third, hire a sound guy with a stereo mixer like an FP-33 so you can send both mics to each camera independently.

Fourth, take daylight matched flo lights so you can take advantage of windows for fill if possible. Kinos or Lowel Caselites.

CineTape

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Glidecam