Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

Hi all,

I am facing some tough decisions regarding a new project. I have 16mm regular negatives and I wanna bypass the positive process. Anyway, after browsing for telecines around I've got the option of standard def and high-definition. Also compressed/uncompressed. I use cinerella to edit standard video and I know the program can handle HD. My question is, what would be the advantages and disadventages of having the video in HD. I may want in future to have prints out of the digital copy. Again, thanks all for the expertise.

Many thanks

richard

#2 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

Well, the advantage is that it's high definition. You get an HD transfer if you are ending up in a medium that will benefit from it, such as HD broadcast or theatrical showing. If you're only going to be showing it in SD, on DVDs or in broadcast, there's not much reason to bother with the added costs of an HD transfer.

A film out from HD is incredibly expensive, and not something that you do lightly. Determine whether you're going to need 35mm prints ahead of time.

Also, the fact that your editing program supports HD is good, but you also need to make sure your hardware is up to the task. HD is extremely taxing on your system.

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

If economics isn't an issue, then there is no downside to going to HD. It will give you a superior video master, and can be used for a film out if the need should arise.

#4 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:07 AM

If economics isn't an issue, then there is no downside to going to HD. It will give you a superior video master, and can be used for a film out if the need should arise.

Thanks for the replies, but would be possible to have a standard definition transfered to film? I mean, would it be really noticable in practical terms?

#5 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the replies, but would be possible to have a standard definition transfered to film? I mean, would it be really noticable in practical terms?

If you're seriously considering a transfer to film, then you should absolutely go with HD, as you would notice a significant difference in quality over SD when the material is blown up to 35mm.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets