No replies to this topic

#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

A reply on my last thread got me thinking, so you can shoot nice shots and turn on some lights, but is there some way to gauge when you are ready to put yourself out there for paid work. In the past I think I came out there too early, not necessarily my skills at shooting, but my approach to working with people on a corporate/ professional level. Is it possible for a body on this site to objectively dictate at what level we should shoot?
Simply, a loose example (hypothetically, a dangerous word on this site), if I was to shoot a computer screen on a corporate but couldn?t get the scan lines out, does that mean I am not ready to make money? How can you gauge if you will sink or swim, as this industry will not give you many chances?

It says I have an advanced level next to my name, but my bank account doesn?t reflect that. I do not want to discourage ambitious prodigies, but being older and getting in the game latter, I am somewhat jaded and understand companies see it as a dollar factor and they don?t see the extra fifteen minutes tuning a flag or changing a different density of diffuser a high priority (as they don?t see a difference anyway).

Secondly, a show reel is an indication of your potential at that time, then should they know that when your shooting a one man band corporate that the images won?t match up to their expectations? Should you tell them, while shooting, ?well, you know, if we got the gaffer bob for an extra $X dollars, he has a small truck, who has gear that would have helped me made this job smashing?. Or should they already comprehend that for the few crew and time they are supplying, then a certain result is expected?

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC