Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:18 AM

Hi folks,

I have a film 101 question dealing with marking actors' placements on set. Is there a standard set of colored tape when marking their positions? Say, for example, I have two actors in a shot, and each moves to a different respective position during the shot. Are there specific colors used for each actor at each position? Or does it vary entirely from shoot to shoot? Are there any general guidelines? Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:31 AM

Normally colors are established during the first days of a job, and the same actors will have the same colors throughout the shoot. They also may be numbered if there are multiple marks during one setup and if the actor likes to have the #'s.

#3 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Consistency is the most important thing. (As much as possible, anyway.)

#4 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

For marking i also bring lead filled pieces of garden hose and golfballs in three different neon colors with me as tape can't be used on all surfaces.

#5 Michael Rizzi

Michael Rizzi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

At the beginning of a show usually you would get an assortment of tape colors (usually like 8-10 colors) and write in sharpie on the inside or side of each roll of tape, the actor and character name so that you can remember who goes to each color. I generally would try and correspond something having to do with the person to the tape color too, maybe if someone has red hair...their tape color is red. It really doesn't matter as long as you know and they know what their color is. Sometimes bigger actors are used to a certain color so you might want to check with them first lest they become confused in the middle of a shot.

Rizzi

#6 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Other good marking methods in less tape-friendly environments include chalk, liquid chalk spray, "sausages" (long thin bean-bags usually made for this purpose), stakes in the ground, pieces of rubber matting (usually with color tape on them), and extra sandbags. I'm certain that there are many more that I am overlooking.

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Glidecam

Willys Widgets