Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Thanks in advance for reading this :D

I've been thinking about getting some PL lomo anamorphic primes for some shorts and some PSA's. I can't afford more than two. I did some research with a directors viewfinder and Frame Forge 3D (3d storyboarding software), checking out the angles of view. All of them have a close focus distance of 1 meter right? For a 35mm focal length, I guess that basically gives you a from chest to top of head shot as your closest shot? I could get the classic big face shot from eyebrows to chin with a 100mm lens. I'm thinking I might be better off
having a 50mm as my wider lens. I like the idea of seeing more of the locations with a 35mm, but the small size of the actors in the frame is another consideration. I know you can use close-up diopters and spit field lenses in controlled situations. Curious to hear others experiences in trying to get around these limitations.

What is the filter size for the 35mm round front lens? I would like to price out diopters.

Most appreciative,

Steve Zimmerman

#2 cruz

cruz
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

Thanks in advance for reading this :D
I've been thinking about getting some PL lomo anamorphic primes for some shorts and some PSA's. I can't afford more than two. I did some research with a directors viewfinder and Frame Forge 3D (3d storyboarding software), checking out the angles of view. All of them have a close focus distance of 1 meter right? For a 35mm focal length, I guess that basically gives you a from chest to top of head shot as your closest shot? I could get the classic big face shot from eyebrows to chin with a 100mm lens. I'm thinking I might be better off
having a 50mm as my wider lens. I like the idea of seeing more of the locations with a 35mm, but the small size of the actors in the frame is another consideration. I know you can use close-up diopters and spit field lenses in controlled situations. Curious to hear others experiences in trying to get around these limitations.

What is the filter size for the 35mm round front lens? I would like to price out diopters.

Most appreciative,

Steve Zimmerman

I recently worked as FA with konvas and set of three lenses 35/2.2 50/2 85/2.2 I used to attach the 4x4filters to the lens with gaffer tape and it worked allright for those. Someone showed me his set of lomo lenses they had a bit more modern look and most lenses were f1.4, the set was 35 or 32, 50, 75, and 100 those have much bigger front element and guess they'll use 6x6 .
From most sets on which DP used anamorphic lenses I remember that I didn't have much job with lens changing 100 was perfect for most exterior situation.

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:29 AM

Just be sure to get the round front Lomos, the square ones are older and not so good.

I too would take a 50mm and 100mm. The 50mm is plenty wide, the 35mm distorts a bit too much for my taste. And the 100mm is a nice lens for over the shoulder and clean close-ups.

#4 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reponses guys. :D

Thanks reinforcing my thoughts. I am going with the 50mm. I love wide angle warping but not for most of the footage. -- And being limited to a chest up shot of the actors for a "normal" lens on such a wide frame doesn't work for me. I would love it as a third choice in the future, but I am just starting out in anamorphic cinematography so I should keep things simple.

Steve Zimmerman

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Glidecam

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies