shooting with 2 different cameras

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deadelephants

deadelephants
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

Dear All,

Hi, I'm in need of help. I have a shoot coming up where I will need to shoot a location and some live performance with 2 cameras. We unfortunately don't have a set up where we have 2 identical cameras, so as it stands I will have a HDV FX1 and an XLH1 camera. Both cameras will be shooting the same action, each camera on different ends of the studio. Essentially the post production will be making cuts only on A cam footage and B cam footage - (not intercut against each other) but it's done for the final intention of presenting as an installation, with A cam image next to B cam image.

Now, in light of this, considering that I am using 2 different cameras, with 2 different lenses, both in the same shooting conditions (each on polar opposite ends of a room, one facing a window, one facing the interior of the studio , will I have trouble cutting them and having them look close to similar side by side? Do I absolutely need to have 2 identical cameras for a situation like this?

Thanks,

Lili

#2 Stephen Press

Stephen Press
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New Zealand

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

To be honest from the set up you describe I think you will have so many issues that matching cameras will be the lest of your problems. :D

And on top of that just wait you are about to get hassled about not posting with your real name.

#3 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:30 AM

You can use the lesser quality camera (the sony) and zoom all the way in and stay in on closeups, and make it a backup B camera. Inserts and cutaways. Let A camera get the coverage. Make sure they white balance on the same piece of white paper at the same time (same light & color temp). I would do a test shoot first.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

The Slider

CineLab

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies