#1 cameron jamaal Speaks

cameron jamaal Speaks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:41 AM

i have a request from my director to use double exposure in the intro sequence of our thesis. since i've never tried this i'm here with questions. should i block the desired non exposed side of the frame while shooting the other half of the frame. if so, will black wrap be sufficient? how much milkiness should i expect from double exposure. I'm shooting a test next week, but i'm interested in any information that would help me better design this test and be prepared for set. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Cameron Speaks
cinematography major

#2 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:32 AM

A double exposure is exposing the same frames 2x's. If you are talking about split screen, then it depends on what camera you are using. Split screen with a bolex is easy. I've done it with black electrical tape, and put it around the wratten filter tray. Insert it into the filter holder until the frame in the viewfinder is half way, or to your desired destination.

Give me some more details.

#3 cameron jamaal Speaks

cameron jamaal Speaks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

A double exposure is exposing the same frames 2x's. If you are talking about split screen, then it depends on what camera you are using. Split screen with a bolex is easy. I've done it with black electrical tape, and put it around the wratten filter tray. Insert it into the filter holder until the frame in the viewfinder is half way, or to your desired destination.

Give me some more details.

i understand that double exposure is exposing the same frame 2X's. our desired effect is similar to a split screen but we want it to feel more organic. so we are double exposing with our lead floating on the right side of the frame, while we boom down a hanging chain and light bulb on the left side of the frame. that's were the concern of milking the image comes from. i want them to be as crisp as possible.

Abel Cine

CineTape

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Opal

Ritter Battery

Technodolly