#1 Raymond O'Neil

Raymond O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:13 PM

We are shooting a black&white low budget independent feature.

Equipment: HDV24P.
Scene: Night shoot, moving car, interior.

Most of the film is being shot with available lights, except the car episode where we'd like to cooperate with an experienced Director of Photography/Gaffer. This is one of the most important scenes in the film and we'd like to work with a seasoned DP/Gaffer who has extensive lighting and night filming experience, (experience in lighting a moving car is a huge +).

Shooting will require 6-7 hour (at most) commitment in the evening. It could probably require less time, depending on the arrangement between us. DP/gaffer's role can range from actually being on the set and hands-on involvement (preferred) to consulting.

This is a no/low budget film, but we'll certainly try to compensate for work performed.

We are approximately 50% through with production and this episode is the only one so far that requires lighting, but there could be more episodes that would require DP/gaffer involvement depending on our mutual interest.

Please send your information via email.

liber8films@gmail.com

Thank you for your interest.

#2 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

Are you saying that for the rest of the production you don't have a DP? Your current camera operator couldn't pull it off, or does he have no aspirations to the office of DP? Both are strange for a feature, especially a black and white one...it's a narrative, I assume?

#3 Raymond O'Neil

Raymond O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

Are you saying that for the rest of the production you don't have a DP? Your current camera operator couldn't pull it off, or does he have no aspirations to the office of DP? Both are strange for a feature, especially a black and white one...it's a narrative, I assume?

Hi David,

I am shooting most of the film, as well as directing it. I don't have an aspiration of becoming a DP, although I am learning lots in the process and have great desire to learn even more, but for right now don't have time or money to go to a three-year school :)

Edited by Rati Oneli, 14 September 2006 - 01:51 PM.

#4 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

It's not rocket science. You can either get an inexpensive 1/2 foot long tungsten tube (or two) from a hardware store that runs on the cigarette lighter or batteries or you can get small battery powered camping lights you can then tape to the dash either in the middle or two in front of your actors. You can then get some blackwrap (tinfoil that is painted black) to stop light leaking onto the back of the steering wheel and then add diffusion gel to soften the light a little. As you are shooting black and white, it's probabably a good idea to over-expose faces a teeny bit so the go white otherwise if you were shooting colour I would suggest to not 'over-light' as it can look a bit fake. You can also use colour gels to match street lights. Some people also make 'Pringle lights' - cut a pringles canister in half an then tape the tungsten tube to the inside - the silver on the inside is a natural reflector.

Otherwise rent a miniflo kit or a small 2 inch by 4inch (if i remember rightly) LED panel(s) that serve(s) the same purpose.

http://www.lee.co.uk...se.cgi.303.html

Or you can light from outside using some tungsten units through a diff. frame or a larger kinoflo.

Some people even add red lights to the back of the of the car to make more of a red glow in the back window.

You don't need 3 years of film school, just a little ingenuity and lateral thinking.

#5 Raymond O'Neil

Raymond O'Neil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hi Morgan, thank you for your reply. I have the tungsten lights and diffusers, camp lights on batteries. Its not about having or not having ingenuity. I am shooting a serious film, not onanistic video. I can't have an amaeutirsh mistakes on the set. The fact that I don't have $10000000 to hire world class DP doesn't mean that I should just go ahead and shoot. I never studied lighting professionally, but I want to produce professional looking images, so between my running around casting, working with the composer, writing the script, working with actors, looking for money, working on a side, job and god knows what I'd love to have some professional help that would make my life easier. I don't think its too much to ask for, is it? :) especially that I can find some finances to compensate for the professional knowledge.

I don't have room for error. I am spending lots of money to rent the limo, bring in actors, etc so I will only have so much time to get things right and done. On the other hand, once I see how its done actually, trust me I'll learn it like it was breast-fed to me with mother's milk.

In any case, I appreciate your suggestions very much. Thank you for taking time to write.

#6 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:16 PM

It might help if you post where you are shooting if you actually want to find someone.

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Opal

Technodolly

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc