#1 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

I want to shoot 16mm and mask in post to 1.85. As far as I know, there is no 1.85 marked GG installed in the CP-16 in question. Also this camera is not mine, so part of my question will revolve around how to best protect the GG from tape residue.

My plan now is this:

Set up a card that has a 4:3 window, with a centered 1.85 window within it (also I may put some TV safe margins, but years in TV and I can pretty much eye it. I am more concerened about HD playout at festivals, which would not include a TV safe margin, as my understanding goes.)

I plan to place that card about 7 feet from the camera, light it so the lens is wide open (or should I stop it down to make a sharper line?) and the lines are clearly visible (the lines will be thick, but the outside of the line will have the correct ratio) I guess I will have to ensure that the board is perfectly perpendicular to the lens' center axis. Then frame it so the 4:3 lines just touch the edge of frame and mark the top and bottom matte lines with tape or something similar.

Now the part I am unsure of. Partly because i have yet to get the camera and see it (I am not even sure how big the GG is). I want to use some sort of translucent tape with some kind of color or ND tint to it, so I can see the edges outside of frame (top and bottom) and see how close the boom mic is to dipping in frame, but also be able to quickly discern framing. This will be important when I operate the few handheld shots we will have in the film.

Sould I tape or use grease pencil or something else? what kind of tape would ABSOLUTELY not leave residue or markings? I am being offered this camera for free, and the guy who owns it is a good guy, I don't want to burn a bridge when its still under construction so-to-speak. if anyone has experience with proper methods of marking GG without damaging it, I am all ears. Also if you see a flaw in my plan let me know. Thanks

#2 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

I want to shoot 16mm and mask in post to 1.85. As far as I know, there is no 1.85 marked GG installed in the CP-16 in question. Also this camera is not mine, so part of my question will revolve around how to best protect the GG from tape residue.

First: this is a 16R, not the non reflex which uses the zoom's finder?

The GG in the CP-16R already has 1.85/1 markings. They don't extend the full width of the GG.
There should be a TV safe area. Outside of that area is a pair of lines on each side extending to the edge of the frame. Those are the 1.85/1 frame limes.
I guess since CP expected the camera would be used for TV more than blow up, kept the TV area clean on the GG, but still wanted to include 1.85 markings.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

oh wow, good lookin out. I had some info from a friend of mine (info he wasnt sure of at the time) that said it had no 1.85 lines. This made sense to me, since its popularity was in the TV news (I would kill to shoot for the news in film. Now I have a 10 year old betacam that I bet looks much worse than some current reversal stock. but oh well, it is nice to rush back from a fire and get it to air within 3 minutes)

and yes, this is the reflex version of the camera (newly rebuilt, without the butterfly shutter)

#4 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

Yes, Leo is right off course, the screen is marked as described. According the the manual the outside frame lines are projector aperture, the inside for TV, and the 1.85 is indicated by marks between the two. There is also plenty of extra image outside the framelines. The image is rather large, and shooting 1.85 is be very acceptable as is.
You can probably put scotch tape across if desired. The focusing sceen is fiber optic. It's very durable and cleans easily with alcohol.

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport