#1 Jesus Sifuentes

Jesus Sifuentes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Producer
  • Texas

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm curious to find out, how they broadcast HD on cable stations like Time Warner. I've done commercials on NTSC which we transferred to Beta for Broadcasting but haven't worked on a full scale HD production. I even called Time Warner advertising sales department but the guy couldn't anwser my question. Does the final spot or feature have to be transferred to Blu-ray or HD DVD?

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:02 AM

Are you asking about thier playout or program acceptance requirements? The actual specs are up to the broadcasters setup, and can be answered by their MCR department, engeneering or maybe traffic.

All cable stations, and even most local affiliate stations have automated playback. If not they have an MCR that plays from something more professional than Blu-ray. HDCAM, D5HD, DVCPRO HD are all possibilities for acceptance of commercials. Once they get the commercials they capture the spot onto their Avid Airspeed or Leich or whatever they are running (just like capturing to your NLE) and a program integrated into their traffic department automates playback. Keeps on air mistakes from hitting (causing lost revenue) and makes for simple integration. if they are HD then they have an HD playback card installed in their playback. If not they have the basic unit with SD playback.

Call them up and ask. If you only have SD that you need on air, they can probably playback SD footage to air on HD channels (upres would be done comming out of the playback), or do an upres before capturing to their playback. i think the latter would be more likely, and may incur an extra charge, maybe not.

Edited by Michael Collier, 15 September 2006 - 01:05 AM.

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC