13 replies to this topic

#1 gustavius smith

gustavius smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

I moved this post over from first time filmmakers. Many members, David Cox, David Mullen, Phil Rhodes, Nate Downes, Brian Wells, provided advice on "creating a 1920's silent film look" last year that was put into action. Decided to use 16 mm expired film stock in the end instead of creating the aged look in post. This forum is an amazing resource! The movie website is http://www.crudethemovie.com/.

Gustavius Smith
Filmmaker
NY NY

#2 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi,

Absolutely love it! You guys should win loads of prizes! But then I'm very biased as I absolutely hate American foreign policy.

The only thing I would say is that it's sometimes very edgy in the frame as some characters are half in and half on the side of frame. Of course I don't know if you shot it that way on purpose to emulate old black and whites. I would say though from what I remember of watching old movies, is that the camera never moves and people always stay within the frame but I'm not very sure to be frank.

Well done!

#3 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

Very impressive...I hope you have a good festival circuit.

#4 gustavius smith

gustavius smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

Absolutely love it! You guys should win loads of prizes! But then I'm very biased as I absolutely hate American foreign policy.

The only thing I would say is that it's sometimes very edgy in the frame as some characters are half in and half on the side of frame. Of course I don't know if you shot it that way on purpose to emulate old black and whites. I would say though from what I remember of watching old movies, is that the camera never moves and people always stay within the frame but I'm not very sure to be frank.

Well done!

Thanks. Yeah I asked that the camera never be moved to emulate the old films. I have to admit that as director I was such a rookie when the DP gave me the portable viewfinder I didn't know which way to look through. I am a journalist turned filmmaker. The Osama scene was the first time I ever directed for film. My DP got his masters and works on a lot of productions but there were times when he made some less than professional mistakes with his Aaton in my humble opinion. For example we made tittle cards and he shot them of centered so we were not able to use them and just didn't have the time or money to reshoot. But overall based on the budget and the time contraints he really tried to give me my vison which was as you can see a 1920's look and feel.

Very impressive...I hope you have a good festival circuit.

Thanks. I applied to many festivals got into two The Bahamas Internationl Film Festival and the New york Short Film Festival but after spending more than $500 buck on festivals I felt like I was being taken and just stopped. Now that it has been a year I am braodcasting it in as much places as I can. i wish I had taken that route first. But Bush is so bad this thing may have life for years to come.

Edited by gustavius smith, 19 September 2006 - 09:16 AM.

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hey, Mr. Smith

Haven't seen you around lately. Sounds like your doing well. Goodluck on your festival run! I will try and check it out when I have the chance. Let me know where I can contact you (seems like your old email isn't good anymore) i would love to send you a DVD of my short when I finnish it.

Take care.

#6 gustavius smith

gustavius smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Hey, Mr. Smith

Haven't seen you around lately. Sounds like your doing well. Goodluck on your festival run! I will try and check it out when I have the chance. Let me know where I can contact you (seems like your old email isn't good anymore) i would love to send you a DVD of my short when I finnish it.

Take care.

Gustavius Smith
gustaviuss@hotmail.com

I sent you a reply the other day took your advice in the message and posted the movie on this site.
Holla!

#7 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

Great short. It was funny. really had that old-time feel. Watching georgy run around pretending to be a fighter piolot reminded me of a Robot Chicken episode "we interupt this program to bring you a special message.....tacos rule. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!!"

good choice on the film stock. I thought I was watching shot in the 20's (except for how strikingly timely it was. I see you shot this in a sound stage with a set. good on you to avoid the temptation to remove walls and have an 'unrestricted viewpoint.' early films were very staged on one side (few removable walls, fourth wall never built etc) looks like you stayed true to the intended look and did a good job.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the DP. It doesn't make an apperance in the film (seems like you cut around problems) but having those titles with the same flicker and grain as the film would have been nice. Looked like you had to import stills into your NLE. There are programs to add a flicker/dust to your titles. May not match perfectly, but they will be close.

Loved the piano score. really sold the whole thing. good job.

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

A nicely executed piece. I see an IRS audit in your future :D

As for:

"Thanks. I applied to many festivals got into two The Bahamas Internationl Film Festival and the New york Short Film Festival but after spending more than $500 buck on festivals I felt like I was being taken and just stopped. Now that it has been a year I am braodcasting it in as much places as I can. i wish I had taken that route first. But Bush is so bad this thing may have life for years to come."

I know what you mean about the festivals, they are really just a cash grab in many cases. At least Sundance only charges $20.00 to submit a film.

There have been a lot of horror stories posted on this board from people who have worked on the inside of film festivals about staff who open packages, grab the check, and toss the screener in the garbage!!

That's why I would only submit to the reputable fests that have been around for a while, there are so many fly by night operations out there set up to take people's money and that's it.

R,

#9 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

> There have been a lot of horror stories posted on this board from people who have worked on the inside of
> film festivals about staff who open packages, grab the check, and toss the screener in the garbage!!

Having watched and worked on an entirely-too-large number of short films in my life, I can safely say that's where most of them deserve wholeheartedly to be.

Phil

#10 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Oh c'mon- the real George would NEVER have been able to spot that was Rumsfeld in disguise! :D

Great little film, and quite the time capsule. VERY well done.

#11 gustavius smith

gustavius smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

Thanks guys your comments are rewarding.

#12 Oscar Godfrey

Oscar Godfrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hello,
I very much enjoyed it too. Good job. Do you mind saying how much it cost?
Oscar.

#13 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

There have been a lot of horror stories posted on this board from people who have worked on the inside of film festivals about staff who open packages, grab the check, and toss the screener in the garbage!!

When you submit your film is most important. If you wait until the final deadline, you pretty much have no chance. I've been accepted into festivals before they stopped taking submissions, meaning (like you said) they already had their schedule and were just taking people's money.

Submit to the top ten or fifteen (Sundance, Cannes, Tribeca, Toronto, South by Southwest, Berlin, Venice, Telluride, and a few others I can't think of) and if it gets into at least one of them, the other smaller fests with ask you for your film and waive the submission fee. In some cases they'll pay for everything, all the way down to the cost of shipping.

#14 gustavius smith

gustavius smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hello,
I very much enjoyed it too. Good job. Do you mind saying how much it cost?
Oscar.

About $7000 half of that went into labor for a 21/2 day shoot (dp/w camera, ac, gaffer, key grip, makeup, ) my construction supervisor, myself, asst director, editor, and production designer built the oval office ourselves, about $1000 in materials (the set, costumes, ) then ofcourse processing, telecine, festivals costs, food, taxi fare, it was very expensive for someone who never shot a film before...I would do it again in a heartbeat though

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc