Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

Hi,

I am thinking about a change of pace in my new film project and the film, initialy in BW, becomes color after a transformation of the main character. Anyway, I want the part thet he is strugling with his new persona... to have color and BW at different levels, I mean, having random color/BW shots. I remember that when I first tried to develop 16mm negatives using c41 (instead of ECN-ii), some of the rolls become with very poor color, nearly bw. I would love to repeat it but I have no idea where to start:

So, to simplify, the main question, how to make a color negative BW?

Is the developer time (or temperature)?
Is the bleach time?
Any suggestions?

many thanks

#2 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

why not try a B+W developer

or B+W stock

or if you are editing on computer use a plug in like Digital Film Lab to change the colour throughout the film

#3 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:55 PM

thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking about some unpredictability and some 'color spills' for example, half frame colored half BW. What happen to a c41 negative in BW developer? do I have to use 37C if I use a BW developer?

I understand that C41 developer has the dye coupler and if I develop it in a BW developer, I'll get a dye cloud over the image, is it right?

So, if I develop the whole film in BW developer (e.g. D19), than immerse half of it in a C41 developer (for a short time) then bleah and fix, would it work?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

why not try a B+W developer

or B+W stock

or if you are editing on computer use a plug in like Digital Film Lab to change the colour throughout the film

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking about some unpredictability and some 'color spills' for example, half frame colored half BW. What happen to a c41 negative in BW developer? do I have to use 37C if I use a BW developer?

I understand that C41 developer has the dye coupler and if I develop it in a BW developer, I'll get a dye cloud over the image, is it right?

So, if I develop the whole film in BW developer (e.g. D19), than immerse half of it in a C41 developer (for a short time) then bleah and fix, would it work?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Processing a color negative in a B&W developer will yield a silver image, and the couplers will not form colored dyes. But there may be some coloration if you try to print/transfer the image, as the colored couplers may change unpredictably in a B&W process -- it is not a recommended standard process.

I suggest you process the film normally (ECN-2), and do your color manipulation in post production.

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Paralinx LLC