#1 Marc Levy

Marc Levy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

I'm new to the F900, and to waveform monitors, but know film pretty well.

So the F900 at 0db Gain is the equivealent of 320 ISO? O.k., so I'm thinking use my meter set to 320 ASA and expose accordingly. As I am more familiar with my meter than using a waveform monitor, I'll rely on my meter to set the TStop, then tweak lighting according to the waveform monitor to prevent blown-out highlights.

Feedback?

#2 Ian Ellis

Ian Ellis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin TX

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:34 PM

Marc,
That all sounds reasonable to me. 320 asa would be on the "B" filter wheel. There is really no definitive asa to these cameras. For me it is about my familiarity with the camera set up and the way I use my meter. I rarely ues a waveform, but rely heavily on my two zebra settings to give me what I consider the most valuable info for a correct exposure. For me, over exposed skin tones are what give away the ugliness of the limitations of video more that anything else, so I will watch that the closest. For other elements in the frame that may be a little over the top in terms of exposure, I tend to judge them by the extent to which I want to hold detail, rather than concern my self with how far over 100 IRE it is. This is where a good, properly calebrated monitor is really important. As you get more used to video, you may find yourself relying more on a good monitor and less on the meter. Good luck.

#3 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:29 AM

Marc,

If it were I, I would light the scene using the light meter and expose the camera using a waveform and a monitor.

Unlike with film cameras and negative film, 1/10th f/stop change on an f-900 is a significant difference of exposure. It could be the difference between clipping your hightlights and photographing them. A "5.6-8.0 split" is not quite accurate enough for f-900 style of shooting even after calibrating your ISO setting for the camera set up that you're using.

At the very least, set up the zebras at just below the white clip point. I like to set mine about 10% under the maximum % the camera will record. I think in standard set ups, the clip point of the f-900 is about 109% unless changed in the camera menu.

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Opal

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly