#1 Wai Choy

Wai Choy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm directing my narrative short in a month and will be shooting about 2500 feet of film.

The film I'll be shooting is Kodak Vision2 500T and Kodak Vision2 250D.

The camera we're shooting with is an Arriflex SR (standard 16mm) with a zoom lens (12mm - 135mm).

I'd like to telecine the film to 1080p/24fps HD, cropping the 16mm frame to get the full HD 16x9 aspect ratio.

Can those of you who have actually seen 16mm transferred to HD lease let me know if this will look good?

Is the resolution of the standard 16mm frame high enough for the HD transfer? Will clarity be sacrificed?

Finally, what does "grainy" film look like? I assume the grain will be somewhat visible because of the HD resolution.

Thanks so much. Please let me know as soon as possible.

-Wai

#2 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm directing my narrative short in a month and will be shooting about 2500 feet of film.

The film I'll be shooting is Kodak Vision2 500T and Kodak Vision2 250D.

The camera we're shooting with is an Arriflex SR (standard 16mm) with a zoom lens (12mm - 135mm).

I'd like to telecine the film to 1080p/24fps HD, cropping the 16mm frame to get the full HD 16x9 aspect ratio.

Can those of you who have actually seen 16mm transferred to HD lease let me know if this will look good?

Is the resolution of the standard 16mm frame high enough for the HD transfer? Will clarity be sacrificed?

Finally, what does "grainy" film look like? I assume the grain will be somewhat visible because of the HD resolution.

Thanks so much. Please let me know as soon as possible.

-Wai

Your transfer may look good but not as good as shooting on S16 since you are cropping out much of your resolution. I really think its better to shoot Super 16 for HD transfer if you can.

#3 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

I do this, I pillarbox - it looks as good a S16 except the image is matted IOW there's less of it.

I'd be hesitant, in fact I personally would not to blow up a 16 x 9 extraction of the standard 16 frame in telecine, especially with faster stocks.

HD Telecine *really* reveals 16mm grain IMO.

If you want 1080 / 24p / then it's HDCam or HDCam SR (better choice, but not likely to be cheap) or go straight to disk somehow but that is NOT std proceedure, and likely not too cheap either - assuming you want good machines and colorist no matter what you hear.
You can go to 720p on D5HD.

-Sam

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam