6 replies to this topic

#1 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

I went to the Cinec yesterday, where some interesting new products where shown:

Vantage Film introduced the new Hawk V-Series, called V-Plus. They improved the optical performance even further (especially contrast/flare handling) and made the lenses telecentric (so that they work equally well on digital cameras). Also these new lenses are about 20 percent lighter than the regular Vs (so maybe now I can do more handheld operating myself instead of always handing it off to my poor Dop).

They added 3 new lenses in their already extensive range: a 85mm T2.2 (with a close focus of 2 feet), a 150mm T3 and a 65mm T3 Macro.

They also had very nice remounted Leica Macro lenses. A range of 19mm to 180mm. The stop is T2.8, which is a tad slower than other spherical lenses, but they are mainly meant for macro cinematography (they allow for 1:1 magnification). These lenses I'd definitely like to test if I ever shoot spherical again.

Joe Dunton Company had a new series of spherical lenses, called Xtal Express (not to be confused with their anamorphics of the same name). These are developed together with their people in Japan and are of their own design. They are very fast (T1.2 and T1.3) and quite small. The range goes from 14.5mm (which is T1.9), 17.5mm, 21mm and further up (Lester Dunton chuckled when I pointed out that these happen to be the exact focal lenghts of Panavision's Primos)

Cooke displayed their 15-40mm T2 zoom lens which I hadn't seen before. I was very impressed because it didn't breathe at all. They pointed out that this design incorporates an additional iris inside the lens whose function is to close down as one zooms in and thereby to cover all the glass that is not needed, in order to avoid flares.

Both Vantage Film and Joe Dunton Company are aware that with 3 perf and 16/9 sensors there is a need for 1.33 anamorphic lenses, but unlike Panavision they are likely to stick with their design philosophies of having the anamorphic element in the middle of the lens (Vantage) or in front of the lens (JDC).

Today I went to Arri in Munich and had a look at the 765. The 65mm lenese are actually smaller than Master Primes (the focus range is a bit small). The range goes from 30mm to 350mm. The 30mm has visible barrel distortion, but already the 40mm (equivalent of 18mm spherical) is distortion free. Since the close-focus on all these lenses is amazing, one can do very nice close-ups on even the wider lenses. Only drawback is that they all breathe a lot.

#2 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

I was there all three days at the GripDepot booth. It was great fun, especially the test rides on the 6x6 quad we offered. We also shot an imagefilm about the quad on 35mm. I'd like to thank Wolfgang from Pille Rental for the cameras, Stephanie from ARRI for the extra mag, Bob from Schneider for the filters and Christian from CMotion for the additional marker rings they supplied.

#3 Arni Heimir

Arni Heimir
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Other
  • Reykjavik/Barcelona

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:48 AM

[quote name='Max Jacoby' date='Sep 19 2006, 07:38 PM' post='128404']
"Vantage Film introduced the new Hawk V-Series, called V-Plus. They improved the optical performance even further (especially contrast/flare handling) and made the lenses telecentric (so that they work equally well on digital cameras)."

Does telecentric meant that the anamorphic element changes from 2x to 1.33x?

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

I didn't think it was possible to make a lens both telecentric and film-centric (or whatever one calls a lens that focuses the entire color spectrum to the same plane).

#5 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

I didn't think it was possible to make a lens both telecentric and film-centric (or whatever one calls a lens that focuses the entire color spectrum to the same plane).

Mitch, "telecentric" refers to the rays exiting the lens being parallel, it's a different (additional) design consideration for digital cameras (especially the prism block on 3 chip where the critical issue is the light path through the dichroic filters) so not the same thing as color landing.

-Sam Wells

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:35 AM

So are these V "Plus" lenses a whole new set or do they just fill-in gaps in the V-Series?

So when are Vantage and JDC going to actually make these 1.33X anamorphic lenses?

#7 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

I don't think the V-plus is a new series, rather an improvement of the existing one. The Vs are no longer manufactured because V-plus will cover the whole range (25mm to 250mm).

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Willys Widgets

CineTape

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider