#1 grantsmith

grantsmith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hi there,

I apologise if this seems a little post related but its really issues when shooting I am needing help with.

I'm going to be doing a little short on the Z1

The end result will be in black and white.

I've messed a little bit with crushing the blacks and adding contrast (in post). I've managed to get (to my eyes anyway) quite a nice look - a bit 7222. I crushed the blacks and added extreme contrast and very heavy BPM (using magic bullet look suite).

While buildings, pavements etc look really nice I am having problems with actors faces with this look. They, as you might imagine look very dark, especially the eyes.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to keep the nice rich contrast but not make the actors look like they are in the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari?

I though about making sure they all wear light clothes and dont put on any make up (or even the opposite of silent films and putting on 'light make-up'.

Is it worth bouncing a lot of light onto their faces with a sungun (mostly exterior) and 'over lighting them'? Or even over-expose a little to compensate for when I increase the contrast etc?

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to how they can get a nice B+W video look (without simply just taking out the color)?

I'm basically wanting an Anton Corbijn/ WIngs of desire type look - almost a charcoal look.

Many thanks,

GRant

#2 Jonathan Benny

Jonathan Benny
  • Sustaining Members
  • 166 posts
  • Other
  • Vancouver, Canada / Paris, France

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to how they can get a nice B+W video look (without simply just taking out the color)?

My preference with digital is to shoot in color, do as much correction in post before removing the color, then remove the color, then do any final tweaks to the black and white image at the end. Manipulating the image in the color space allows for more control in achieving a desirable black and white image.

On film shoot black and white negative.

AJB

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio