7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Burket

Chris_Burket
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

I have been seriously considering purchasing a Konvas 2m recently. However, I am also intriqued by the Arri 2c. The 2c is quite a bit more expensive, but I'm wondering if it would be a more trustworthy camera. I realize regular service plays a big part in dependability. I plan on having either camera I buy serviced regularly. But, do you think the 2m would be just as dependable as a 2c if it was serviced properly and well taken care of.

#2 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:30 PM

I have been seriously considering purchasing a Konvas 2m recently. However, I am also intriqued by the Arri 2c. The 2c is quite a bit more expensive, but I'm wondering if it would be a more trustworthy camera. I realize regular service plays a big part in dependability. I plan on having either camera I buy serviced regularly. But, do you think the 2m would be just as dependable as a 2c if it was serviced properly and well taken care of.

i think the arri is more reliable,easier to get bits for and has more options. its also not necessarily that expensive. ive had a few and sold them. they are actually dirt cheap or rather can be. id go with the arri.their quality is consistent,the eastern european stuff is not.

#3 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

I don't know why this is even a debate. In my opinion, the Konvas 2M and Arri 2 are not comparable as complete packages. Sure, the camera bodies are similar -- both have fixed shutter angles and lack registration pins -- but once they're built up to the same specs, the Arri is much more expensive.

A Konvas 2M with an OCT-19 mount for Russian lenses, crystal sync motor, and a set of primes can be had for around $2000.

Differences between the two cameras:

The Konvas 2M already has a hard front, and can have the lens mount swapped for a PL version. The only thing that needs to be changed is the mount. An Arri 2 would require an entire new front end to replace the 3 lens turret, plus the PL mount.

The Konvas motor will do 8, 12, 16, 24, 25, and 32 fps, all crystal controlled. The Tobin on the Arri in this eBay auction will only do 12, 24 (sync), 25 (sync), and 30.

The Arri 2 does not have an orientable viewfinder. The Konvas does.

Swapping gates on the Konvas takes 2 seconds (i.e. Super 35), and can be done without tools. Here is a page I made showing all the Konvas gate options, plus photos of the ones I have access to and how they expose on film:

http://rarevision.co...gate_types.html

I challenge anyone to show me where I can get an Arri 2 with a crystal base and a set of primes for $2000.

#4 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

I actually have a 1M, 2M w/pl mount, and a 2b. I have to say that for about $1600-$2k(if you own a Konvas)you can get it upgraded by Bruce at Aranda. His new Konvas 5000 motors are simple to use and very reliable. BTW Thomas, Raf's new super 35 gates...do they not need any adjusting on a 2M?

Kev

#5 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

BTW Thomas, Raf's new super 35 gates...do they not need any adjusting on a 2M?

I've suggested a vertical aperture size of 16.0mm (the same as academy) to Rafael. I think that's about as high as you're going to be able to go without encountering the shutter coverage problem shown on my site. This hasn't been tested, however. I'll have to wait for the new gate before doing tests (Rafael has promised me one). Once I have it, I will expose some film and post the results on my page.

#6 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

The Konvas motor will do 8, 12, 16, 24, 25, and 32 fps, all crystal controlled.

Today, available modification of electrocal motors of Konvas cameras :
15EPSS, 17EP-16 APK, 18EP-16 APK, 19EP-16APK
on crystal sync multi speed version with 6, 10, 16 speeds :

6.25, 8, 12, 12.5, 15, 16, 16.6, 20, 24, 25, 30, 32, 33,3, 40, 48, 50 fps.

And other technical possiblities :
- 4 pin XLR cannon power connector,
- international glass fuses holder,
- Soft start and soft stoping of motor.
- Shutter Parking stops the camera each time in the viewing position.
- Manual adjust of phase of speed at run mode and manual turn of axis on low sped at stop mode.
- Wide system of sound information.
- Light signal of not crystal sync speed.
- digital voltmeter for show condition of battery ( +/- 0.1 v )

http://www.konvas.in.../olexander_002/

#7 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

Get a IIC...you might run into a hard time if anything goes wrong with the Konvas and you have to have it overhauled. Do you want a camera or do you want to cut corners, you know what I mean? Arri cameras are tanks...they will last you a lifetime and even though it's a bit of a scavenger hunt, there are still some guys around who can help you out with servicing and parts. At CSC we sell our older gear to people looking to own cameras. We also sell used accessories, which might be helpful for you because lemme tell ya, I used to own a 16S, I know what a pain in the ass it is to find that ONE PART on ebay or wherever! We could also give advice as far as batteries and little things like that. And if you have an idea for a part that doesn't exist but you want it made, one of the guys in the shop might be able to point you in the right direction as well. Honestly I don't know that much about the sales side of CSC and I know we don't have any IIC's, but if you go the Arri route, please feel free to call them. I know a few guys send us their cameras to be serviced...I saw a BL4 hanging out the other day, somebody brought in their SR...so who knows! Good luck!

#8 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:39 AM

There are probably more Konvas cameras around in the US then there are Arri 2C's, so parts are not a problem. The Konvas are also built as tanks; I dropped mine from breast height straight into the concrete pavement without it missing a sprocket. The movement is bomb-proof and it can be serviced by just anyone with a screw driver.

The bad things are that its optical system is dark, dark, dark (due to a pointless right angle prism) and that the engineering is sometimes a bit crude. On the other hand at least you can swing the viewfinder (although the image doesn't stay upright), something you can't do on an 2C. The mags are also a bit of a nightmare and can vary in take up tension and film transport quite considerably.

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

Technodolly