Photo

Wratten filters-am I missing something???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:52 PM

I'm wanting to buy some color compensating filters, specifically Red 25, Blue 47 and Green 61 for a Harris Shutter. Various how-to guides suggest that these filters can be had for 6-10 dollars a piece. Yet, when I go to retailers like BH Photo or Calumet, the price is 50 or 60 dollars? Am I missing something here?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

I'm wanting to buy some color compensating filters, specifically Red 25, Blue 47 and Green 61 for a Harris Shutter. Various how-to guides suggest that these filters can be had for 6-10 dollars a piece. Yet, when I go to retailers like BH Photo or Calumet, the price is 50 or 60 dollars? Am I missing something here?

Brian,

Just buy glass filters, they will last far longer and pay for themselves many times over!

Stephen

#3 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

Which brand would you recommend?
Thanks!
Brian Rose

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

Which brand would you recommend?
Thanks!
Brian Rose

Hi,

I generally buy from B+H, I look at the prices of the main brands and decide that way. Over time filters do need to be replaced.

Stephen

#5 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

I generally buy from B+H

I find B+H to be consistently over-priced. I haven't looked into who else carries filters, but I know I've seen them on the shelf at Filmtools in Burbank. Can't say they're any cheaper there though. But the reason for the price discrepancy you cited is probably that the book is talking about gelatin filters, whereas you're looking at glass filters, which are much more expensive than gelatin because they're a lot better.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

I find B+H to be consistently over-priced.

David,

Relative to Switzerland B+H is very competitive.

Stephen

#7 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Also a possible reason for the price discrepency: a lot of film books were written in the 60's and 70's (most of the books I have started their first editions in this time frame) and obviously, prices have gone up.

And I find B&H competitive in pricing on certain items. Some things are a bit pricey, but I have always enjoyed their service. I bought my first 3 chip camera from them and since have probably spent upwards of 15 grand there (not a lot for an old timer, but I am in my early 20's, so I feel its a decent chunk of change.) I generally price things out and B&H usually is a few dollars more, but worth it in terms of service. Or maybe its brand loyalty at this point. They would have to be 5% off the next best for me to shop elsewhere.

Edited by Michael Collier, 22 September 2006 - 03:39 PM.

#8 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

. . .you're looking at glass filters, which are much more expensive than gelatin because they're a lot better.

Hi David,

Actually, most reference materials I've seen suggest that high-quality gelatin filters--because they are so thin--are actually optically superior to any glass filter, but because they are so fragile they're not practical outside of a studio environment.

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Glidecam