Sam Rosenthal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hey everyone!

This is my first attempt at making a reel/website that my friend and I made. Please feel free to critique it and give me some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback (dont just say Im a bad shooter and have no potential and should never post anything ont his website ever again!). I shoot a lot of digital and I dont have a lot of money and I also didnt go to a fancy film school like USC, UCLA, or AFI. Enjoy!

www.omtproduction.com

just click on films and it will pop right up.

Thanks guys.

#2 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hey everyone!

This is my first attempt at making a reel/website that my friend and I made. Please feel free to critique it and give me some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback (dont just say Im a bad shooter and have no potential and should never post anything ont his website ever again!). I shoot a lot of digital and I dont have a lot of money and I also didnt go to a fancy film school like USC, UCLA, or AFI. Enjoy!
www.omtproduction.com

just click on films and it will pop right up.

Thanks guys.

Hi.

Website = nice

Reel.
Try to find the shots you are most happy with and proud of and show them. Rather short and good than lengthy and vague.
I would also consider a lesser compressed and bigger format.
If you're showing off your photowork, it's hard to judge from very compressed small images.

Just my 2c

Gunleik

#3 joefunk

joefunk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:28 AM

Hi Sam,

Took a look at your reel and really like the clip of the guy walking through the street with the hood on. Would love to know if you actually shot that image on board or whether you pulled it down and layer'd it in post?? Looks like it could be film but suspect its digital? More info would be great.

Were you allowed to use Air for the soundtrack?

Cheers,
Joe.

#4 Albert Smith

Albert Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

Cut it down for sure. Maybe switch the song too, slow songs dont help, your not trying to make a creative peice here. Just like a bussinese grad uses a resume your going to use your reel to attain work. Im not saying you cant be creative, but, you want to keep peoples attention the best you can. flashy and fast...it maybe be cliche and w/e but it works. I would cut the clips of that band playing they look like shots from a live show in poor light to me. Also I would do some cc to some of that stuff, the bw thing with th ebag over the guys head looked over done. high contrast cen be cool but i think you pushed the footage too much. the thing you started with looks too flat and unstaurated...if you have fcp the 3way color corrector could deffinetly pop some life into that stuff if you work with it...I know premiere has some good filters too or any im sure does. also Id just make it qt If i were you. up the quality...made have a couple versions in diffrent qualities. flash is just enn. I donno qt is kinda the standard. and yea shorter with that stuff Id try to do it in under 2minutes for sure. also as far as cinematorgaphy goes you might wanna get some more stuff in there. the lighting I saw wasnt very impressive. you want some stuff that shows skill difficult setups are good...night exteriors are the biggie.

to the above psot, you dont need music rights for a reel...well technically Im sure you do, but I highly doubt youll get sued for making a reel to it....especially if its just on the web.

Edited by Jake Zalutsky, 23 September 2006 - 05:48 AM.

#5 Sam Rosenthal

Sam Rosenthal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

Cut it down for sure. Maybe switch the song too, slow songs dont help, your not trying to make a creative peice here. Just like a bussinese grad uses a resume your going to use your reel to attain work. Im not saying you cant be creative, but, you want to keep peoples attention the best you can. flashy and fast...it maybe be cliche and w/e but it works. I would cut the clips of that band playing they look like shots from a live show in poor light to me. Also I would do some cc to some of that stuff, the bw thing with th ebag over the guys head looked over done. high contrast cen be cool but i think you pushed the footage too much. the thing you started with looks too flat and unstaurated...if you have fcp the 3way color corrector could deffinetly pop some life into that stuff if you work with it...I know premiere has some good filters too or any im sure does. also Id just make it qt If i were you. up the quality...made have a couple versions in diffrent qualities. flash is just enn. I donno qt is kinda the standard. and yea shorter with that stuff Id try to do it in under 2minutes for sure. also as far as cinematorgaphy goes you might wanna get some more stuff in there. the lighting I saw wasnt very impressive. you want some stuff that shows skill difficult setups are good...night exteriors are the biggie.
to the above psot, you dont need music rights for a reel...well technically Im sure you do, but I highly doubt youll get sued for making a reel to it....especially if its just on the web.

Thanks for the feedback Jake! what should I compress it as to put it on the web? how many mbs??

#6 Sam Rosenthal

Sam Rosenthal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:30 AM

Hi Sam,

Took a look at your reel and really like the clip of the guy walking through the street with the hood on. Would love to know if you actually shot that image on board or whether you pulled it down and layer'd it in post?? Looks like it could be film but suspect its digital? More info would be great.
Were you allowed to use Air for the soundtrack?

Cheers,
Joe.

I used the 3 way cc to raise the whites and dropped the blacks alittle and used mids sparingly. Thanks for the nod.

-Sam

#7 Albert Smith

Albert Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:57 PM

I used the 3 way cc to raise the whites and dropped the blacks alittle and used mids sparingly. Thanks for the nod.

-Sam

if its just for web...or even on dvd...you can up saturation a bit with out any real noticable problems....but keep changes somewhat subtle. also warming the palete often brings out color a bit. some footage just looked a little flat.

um if its going to be about 2minutes I would compress it to 15mbs or so. in fcp just got "export using qt conversion" or w/e it is. set quality to high and compress the music with mpg4 codec.

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC