#1 Andy Fortenbacher

Andy Fortenbacher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:14 AM

I am currently in preproduction for a short 16mm film. We are looking at doing several scenes with the aid of blue screen. I am looking for advice on two particular things. First, when using blue screen outside, what is the best way to light the screen? Should we use diffused (artificial) light , or just use let the sun do all of the work? We also have a scene where we will be suspending someone from a harness (for a falling sequence.) The blue screen will be hung above the suspension riging. This image will be added to a night exterior scene, where a person has fallen out of an apartement complex window. My concern is lighting the person so it looks realistic as they fall . Should I have them fall through a pool of light (resembling the ambient light from street light,) while having the rest of the vertical fall darker? Or should I have them lit evenly the entire way? How bright should we light the blue screen for that shot? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. -Andy

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:32 AM

I am currently in preproduction for a short 16mm film. We are looking at doing several scenes with the aid of blue screen. I am looking for advice on two particular things. First, when using blue screen outside, what is the best way to light the screen? Should we use diffused (artificial) light , or just use let the sun do all of the work? We also have a scene where we will be suspending someone from a harness (for a falling sequence.) The blue screen will be hung above the suspension riging. This image will be added to a night exterior scene, where a person has fallen out of an apartement complex window. My concern is lighting the person so it looks realistic as they fall . Should I have them fall through a pool of light (resembling the ambient light from street light,) while having the rest of the vertical fall darker? Or should I have them lit evenly the entire way? How bright should we light the blue screen for that shot? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. -Andy

Hi,

I notice you have posted the same question in 3 forums! Please could you delete 2 of them, otherwise the thread will not run well!

I would try to light the daytime bluescreen with natural light if possible. I once had a 90' wide bluescreen which would have been very expensive to light! The light on the blue should be close to the actual exposure but you may well end up at +/- 1 stop. If using a greenscreen the light on the green should always be under and never overexposed. Looking through the eyepiece will tell you if your in the ballpark relative to the forground!

For falling out of the window at night the person should fall through the lighting! The blue should be further away and fairly evenly lit.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Stephen

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

CineTape

Tai Audio

Glidecam