4 replies to this topic

#1 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

I'm looking for an HD master for a S16 short with a VERY tight budget so my plan was....

One-light to DVCAM, cut, export EDL (with handles), and then telecine to D5 for HD.

...until a DP suggested to me that I:

Best-light to D5, giving the post house as many notes as I can about what I want for each shot, and then color correct from D5 to D5. He said there may be some resolution loss, but I'm not worried about it if it will trim the budget.

Any thoughts?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

I get asked that question all the time by producers: is it cheaper to telecine TWICE, first to SD, then create an EDL, and then retransfer selects to HD and do an auto-conform... or transfer ONCE to HD, make SD downconversions for offline editing, etc.

It really depends on the deal you get for the original HD transfer, since you are talking about a lot more footage than retransferring selects.

In terms of tape-to-tape using HD-D5, that should be fine, and you can always go back to the original negative for any problematic shots and retransfer.

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

I'm in the throes of making some post production decisions like this with a short-form documentary that I just shot in South America. (All the film is at the lab today) Shooting ratios are a bit more than 10:1 so I've got quite a lot of material to transfer for this 10 to 12 min short. Originally I was planning to get a one light - produce the EDL and then retransfer selects to save money, but the colorist, Eric Rosen at FSFT, advised against it. He told me taking selects is very time consuming and wouldn't offer much savings. At this point we are planning to best light all the footage low contrast and then color correct the selects in an online session. Our film is being finished on Digibeta - not HD. We also shot 4:3 16mm - not widescreen.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

. Our film is being finished on Digibeta - not HD.

Hi,

I am always disappointed with regraded Digibeta. I think it starts looking like video!

I would follow David's advice and re-telecine the selected takes, I usually neg cut first (complete takes), saves loads of time in the telecine bay!

Stephen

#5 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:30 PM

....well, this is a self-produced student film with NO "budget". I'm looking for the best value for finishing on tape and maintaining a filmic look.

Here is a clip from my test roll before production:

http://www.steve-hyd...o_7201_test.mov

Bell and Howell Filmo / Angenieux
Kodak 7201
Thompson Shadow

I think the clip has a distinct filmic quality. This is off the DVcam. I ended up shooting wide angle lenses instead of the zoom used here so I imagine the deep focus from the wide angle lenses will make it more of a challenge to maintain a filmic look on tape....

I am open to suggestions..

Steve

Technodolly

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio