#1 bragis chut

bragis chut
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

Hi all:

I recently shot a short film on 35mm (1.85) and need to go back and do some re-takes and additional shooting. Because we went over budget, I am now having to consider shooting some suepr 16 and integrating it into the short a la CITY OF GOD, or THE CONSTANT GARDNER, both of which mixed both formats together, I believe.

We didn't shoot super35, however, the way CONSTANT GARDNER did. Anything I should before I go down this road? Obviously, we will only be finishing to DVD, and I don't need to strike a release print, so I'm not worried on that account. Mostly, I'm just wondering how I merge the 1.85 ratio with the 1.66 ration of super 16.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

--Gallantyne

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

Even if you're only finishing on the small screen, it would probably help to shoot the S16 portions on a slower speed stock than the 35mm equivalent, to match the grain. If you used diffusion, it's a good idea to use less for the reshoot.

You can ask for a 1.85 groundglass for the S16 camera, if you shoot a framing chart, getting the transfer in the correct aspect ratio will be a piece of cake.

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

If it's possible within the context of the project, try to limit your super 16 footage as much as possible toward mainly closeups, thus relying more on 35mm for your wide and establishing shots. Try to avoid intercutting the two formats within the same scene, if you can.

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS