2 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary Vex

Zachary Vex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

I just received a K100 that was modified for super 16mm (very unusual piece) and it seems that the lens mount was not re-centered, nor was the film path moved to the middle of the lens. the aperture/gate was simply opened up for extra distance and a video lens installed. the rollers inside are not modified either, so they seem to be putting pressure on the emulsion at the edge of the old standard 16mm frame instead of the outside edge of the film... so we'll see if that damages the emulsion. Sigh.

Does it matter that the lens is not centered on the frame? Is it likely that I'll see distortion at the edge of the frame?

There's an included 12.5mm video lens that supposedly has coverage also. Will I have trouble getting coverage with longer lenses? Or is it only at short lengths that coverage is a problem?

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

You may find vignetting along the recently expanded side of the gate. It depends on the lens.

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

That's the same simple mod that is generally done to a Russian K3 as well; widen the gate but don't recenter the lens.

I love the K-100, great camera.

Run tests with all your lenses (write down each lens' name on paper and shoot it) then have a telecine operator check it out... sometimes they can do it for free or cheap if you tell them its a camera test.

Yes, you may get some vignetting and there will probably be a little distortion as well with those old c-mounts, but hey... its still Super 16 and you can choose how much of it you want to use if you're transfering to video anyway.

You may find your K-100 scratches in the S16 part anyway due to the transport.

If you transfer to DV, have them set it up as a 16:9 anamorphic transfer so when you import it to your editor you can tell the computer its anamorphic and you'll be using all the pixels available.

CineTape

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC