#1 David May

David May

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

First off, I'm getting married in Italy next year. My fiance wants us to take film of the wedding and honeymoon in Italy for a total of about two weeks.

We are looking for a particular look in our footage that we take. We want the end product to look on a TV as if we were watching and old movie. We want a gainy, sort of vintage look but the final product to be a dvd. The best example I can show you of what I'm looking for is at this website: www.fiftyfootfilms.com under their screening room and honeymoon pack there is a video of what we want.

I have the resources to do the post production work myself so I would rather do it myself, however I have never used a super 8 camera and know little about what camera and film would be the best for the trip.

Suggestions?

Thanks

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

For that old movie, contrasty look you'll probably need a Colour Reversal film, Negative is more natural, and less contrasty, some of these may also give the old movie look, I don't know, I'm no expert.

Congratulations, and hope it all goes well.
Matthew Buick

P.S It really matters about the amount of light in the church, PM this guy he's a fairly famous cinematographer, he'll know what to do.

http://www.cinematog....php?showuser=3

EDIT : That is probably Kodachrome 40, I'm not sure.

Edited by Matthew Buick, 27 September 2006 - 04:51 PM.

#3 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

Matthew is right, you want Kodachrome 40 or K40 as some call it, for the look you are going for. Sad part is, K40 isnt made anymore. However, if you go on ebay, you can still find some good stock of it. It doesnt quickly go bad as I have used 20+ year old stock and still been ok.

If you are skidish about using ancient stock, ektachrome 64t is not a bad looking stock either. I personally dont see where is looks all that much different than K40 shot well. It honestly may be a bit grainier which may be good for the look you want. I think I too would avoid color negative in your instance since it turns out looking really smooth most of the time. Not to say the others cant be as smooth, but it takes some serious doing with reversal.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

Also, with camera choices anything can register K40, you'll have to ask someone more professional about specific cameras, though.

Have a good weddding.

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc