#1 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a Cinematographer and Gaffer like I am. He mentioned that he includes shots of films that he was gaffer on in his cinematography reel when he felt he had a significant contribution to the style of that particular shot. I didn't think this was a legit deal, and I want to see what some of you think. Do gaffers make a reel of thier work seperately, or can in all be included in one reel?

#2 darrin p nim

darrin p nim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca from Portland, Or

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:25 AM

cinematographer reels and gaffer reels should be two seperate things. unless you gaff for yourself, you should not put any gaffing footage onto your DP/cinematographer's reel, it is mis-representation should not be condoned whether or not a gaffer feels he/she had "significant contribution".

#3 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:59 AM

that was what my thoughts were. Anyone else?

#4 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:00 AM

The gaffer almost always has a significant contribution to how the shot looks, most department heads do.

Unless he is VERY clear that he was the gaffer (and I don?t get that impression) it is very unacceptable, and he will get called out on it eventually. All that said, I have never considered a gaffer for a job who had a gaffer reel (not that I wouldn?t, just that I have never come across one). It is not really appropriate because it is impossible to quantify how much of the look was from the gaffer, not to mention he should not really be taking credit for the look, no matter how much input he had.

Kevin Zanit

#5 darrin p nim

darrin p nim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca from Portland, Or

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:13 AM

i agree but have to mention that gaffer reels do exist, not that you're saying they dont and if a DP is looking for a gaffer that is relatively new to him a reel definitely helps one get the job. I believe that if you have a reel that shows you can make various situations of light look great you have yourself a good gaffers real. Though, like i said a DPs reel and Gaffers Reel surround the same idea but are completely different presentationally. They should never be mixed together.

EDIT:
Gaffer reels usually show that they can effectively achieve the look that the DPs want and in as many situations as possible.

Edited by Darrin P Nim, 27 September 2006 - 06:17 AM.

#6 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

I personally have never seen a gaffer's reel. That's not to say they do not exist.
It would be impossible to look at a reel and judge what contribution was the gaffer's and what was the DP's.
Gaffer's are generally hired for their cv's, personality and sometimes what they can bring to the table in terms of equipment they personally own.

#7 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

Here in New York City I know many a gaffer and even used to be a full time one myself and never have I seen or heard any talk about having a reel. It does seem likely however that in smaller markets (not LA or NY) it might be something that could get you a job. A resume with some familar sounding companys and networks does the trick otherwise.

F

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

CineTape

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Opal