• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hello all!

2 part question:

1st part:

Im shooting a short and I want to do some time lapse with a character who is on speed. I know the DVX didnt have the interavalameter on it and that you had to get an extension called a paint box. Did Panasonic smarten up and put a time lapse feature on the HVX or do I still need to get the paint box?

2nd part:

Although the firestore seems like the bizomb to use, I think, because of budget constraints, we are going to rent a bunch of P2 cards. What is a good accurate ratio for every P2 card that we fill, how many minutes will it take to upload onto the computer (a Powerbook G4 with 2 gigs of ram and a 500 gig external hard drive). Also what would be the minimum P2 cards that we need in order for us to never have to stop shooting and upload while we shoot; I'm guessing about 4 8 gig cards but Id like to hear from all of you. Thanks!

#2 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:15 PM

Hi.

I Gather from your questions that you don't actually have one or the manuals.
I'd have a quick peek at dvxuser.com as they answer these and a lot more questions extensively. (Do a search, these questions have benn covered...)

To your questions:
Timelapse is one of the features of the HVX. It's easy to do. As is over- and undercrank.

I'd rather rent a firestore. Especially if you haven't used P2 cards and are on a limited time/$$ budget. You'll feel much more "at home" doing that, than the p2 workflow (which is really addictive btw -;).
That said

On a 8 GB card you'll have 8 minutes of 1080 p25/24 or 16 minutes of 720 pn 24/25

You'll need at least 3, preferably 4 evensized cards to get a smooth workflow, and an operator that just handles the p2 log'ing.

If you're in FCP 5.1.2 the whole P2 experience just became a lot nicer.

Good luck!

Gunleik

#3 Sam Rosenthal

Sam Rosenthal

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for the reply! Since the owner has 2 8 gig P2 cards I think we are going to go with renting 2 more. Im glad that the HVX has a time lapse feature, save me the grief of finding a lunch box. Cheers!

-Sam

Hi.

I Gather from your questions that you don't actually have one or the manuals.
I'd have a quick peek at dvxuser.com as they answer these and a lot more questions extensively. (Do a search, these questions have benn covered...)
To your questions:
Timelapse is one of the features of the HVX. It's easy to do. As is over- and undercrank.
I'd rather rent a firestore. Especially if you haven't used P2 cards and are on a limited time/$$ budget. You'll feel much more "at home" doing that, than the p2 workflow (which is really addictive btw -;).
That said

On a 8 GB card you'll have 8 minutes of 1080 p25/24 or 16 minutes of 720 pn 24/25

You'll need at least 3, preferably 4 evensized cards to get a smooth workflow, and an operator that just handles the p2 log'ing.

If you're in FCP 5.1.2 the whole P2 experience just became a lot nicer.

Good luck!

Gunleik

#4 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the reply! Since the owner has 2 8 gig P2 cards I think we are going to go with renting 2 more. Im glad that the HVX has a time lapse feature, save me the grief of finding a lunch box. Cheers!

-Sam

NP

& BTW remember to archive the _original_ P2 files untill you've finished the projects.

Lots of users have had some (minor, but dealbreaking) problems when importing files into their NLE. If you have the original P2 files - you're always good to re-import.

Gunleik

#5 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hi Sam,

Not sure what type of time lapse look you're after, but the HVX can do a lot. If you shoot 720p Native you can over/undercrank. You can also tweak the scene file settings in a text edit program to undercrank as much as 2fps. If you want to shoot 1080, you can use the intervalometer to shoot 1 fps or even slower...

If you have some time before your shoot, I'd recommend getting a copy of Barry Green's The HVX Book-- it explains in great practical detail every function that camera has, in much easier to understand terms than the user manual.

I shot a short a while ago using only two 8 gig cards... we were shooting at a film ratio, so it wasn't really a problem. But hey, a few extra cards couldn't hurt. One 8 gig card will hold about 20 minutes of 720/24pN.

At this point, I would put more trust in the P2 cards than I would a firestore. I understand that many people have been getting dropouts due to either the FW connection or some internal problem. You also can't shoot native frame rates to the firestore and therefore can't over/undercrank...

Hope this helps.

Hello all!

2 part question:

1st part:

Im shooting a short and I want to do some time lapse with a character who is on speed. I know the DVX didnt have the interavalameter on it and that you had to get an extension called a paint box. Did Panasonic smarten up and put a time lapse feature on the HVX or do I still need to get the paint box?

2nd part:

Although the firestore seems like the bizomb to use, I think, because of budget constraints, we are going to rent a bunch of P2 cards. What is a good accurate ratio for every P2 card that we fill, how many minutes will it take to upload onto the computer (a Powerbook G4 with 2 gigs of ram and a 500 gig external hard drive). Also what would be the minimum P2 cards that we need in order for us to never have to stop shooting and upload while we shoot; I'm guessing about 4 8 gig cards but Id like to hear from all of you. Thanks!

#6 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

You also can't shoot native frame rates to the firestore and therefore can't over/undercrank...

Hope this helps.

You actually can, it's just stored within a 50 or 60 datastream. You just have to check the "remove unwanted frame" option on importt in f. ex. FCP.

Gunleik

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Wooden Camera