Nate

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

Hello everyone :D

I have wanted to make movies for about 8 years now, and although I have had more than one camcorder, I am just now getting around to seriously starting a movie.

But the most important thing for me to know is: where can I buy props and stuff online? I am going to make a thriller/horror movie and I need some bones or fake ones and a wig with long, white/gray hair, an occult-looking cape, some (preferably) fake skulls that look real, and a lot of fake blood. I also am going to need some real-looking wierd scary creature masks for the monsters. I also need some slime or goo that glows in the dark.

Also, I don't have a studio, so where can an average guy get an abandoned warehouse or something similar? For years I have been stumped on how I can get access to various places that I need in order to shoot scenes there.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Nate

#2 Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • P.A.
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

If you need skulls that look real, then the industry standard is to always illegally dig them up from a gravesite. The same can be said for the bones, you should definitely rob some graveyards. In fact, that is where you should shoot the film! Make sure to set up some big lights! Maybe a 12k on either end of the park and then get diggin'!

One important thing to remember: never, under any circumstances, write a script. That will just slow you down.

Get going man!

Edited by Patrick S. McGowan, 27 September 2006 - 09:46 PM.

#3 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:05 AM

If you need skulls that look real, then the industry standard is to always illegally dig them up from a gravesite. The same can be said for the bones, you should definitely rob some graveyards. In fact, that is where you should shoot the film! Make sure to set up some big lights! Maybe a 12k on either end of the park and then get diggin'!

One important thing to remember: never, under any circumstances, write a script. That will just slow you down.

Get going man!

I believe panavision does an excellent gravesite shovel (actually its an asda/wallmart version with just branded and marked up a tad) that has a handly attatchment for getting the lids open.

As for the script. . . well just try and avoid anything used in "Van Helsing" in terms of scripting and you will be fine. . .

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

Hello everyone :D

I have wanted to make movies for about 8 years now, and although I have had more than one camcorder, I am just now getting around to seriously starting a movie.

But the most important thing for me to know is: where can I buy props and stuff online? I am going to make a thriller/horror movie and I need some bones or fake ones and a wig with long, white/gray hair, an occult-looking cape, some (preferably) fake skulls that look real, and a lot of fake blood. I also am going to need some real-looking wierd scary creature masks for the monsters. I also need some slime or goo that glows in the dark.

Also, I don't have a studio, so where can an average guy get an abandoned warehouse or something similar? For years I have been stumped on how I can get access to various places that I need in order to shoot scenes there.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Nate

2 words-EEEE BBBBAYY. they have all that stuff except for the warehouse, well they have them but there EXPENSIVE so if I were you I would find one somewhere near where you live and ASK the owners to let you use it. The worst they can say is NO. Try several places until someone says yes then, rewrite your script (And I WOULD recommend that you DO write a script despite Patrick's concerns that it will slow you down) so that the location is the place that is availible. Dude, don't let little things like being afraid to ask permission to use a location stop you or you'll never get your film made. In the imortal words of Nike "JUST DO IT!" B) (PS I also would avoid digging up graveyards if you can. If anyone finds out it could result in bad publicity)

I believe panavision does an excellent gravesite shovel (actually its an asda/wallmart version with just branded and marked up a tad) that has a handly attatchment for getting the lids open.

As for the script. . . well just try and avoid anything used in "Van Helsing" in terms of scripting and you will be fine. . .

But if you can get an actress that looks like Kate Beckensale to be in your film, that would be OK

#5 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:20 AM

seriously, your props budget will inform where you can source them from. If you are just starting out then why not improvise/use inexpensive shop products so you can develope your storytelling so that you are well experienced by the time it comes to shoot your horror epic.

Locations can be tricky, again its based on budget. Can you improvise anywhere? Would you try for a huge warehouse only to need one side? Are you expecting to light these large areas and, if so, do you have the budget to do so? I would advise to maybe write something with the tools/locations you have to hand and progress to larger projects. You will find that improvising can often lead to suprising results that really stand out.

For further advise, you could contact the "Low Budget Horror Film Society" website and they have lots of tips relating to filming the genre -

http://www.lbindependent.vze.com/

But if you can get an actress that looks like Kate Beckensale to be in your film, that would be OK

If you get an actress that looks even remotely like Kate then I will happily make coffee on set! :)

#6 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

GOOGLE!

#7 Harrison Reynolds

Harrison Reynolds
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student
  • Texas

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hey man for fake blood, this website has a lot of different types of recipies for your use http://www.exposure....lood/blood.html for other props I would say go to a halloween shop or any kind of party shop pretty soon because you might be able to find some cool stuff for really cheap as it was just halloween. Also just be creative, for gunshot wounds do the air pressure technique and such, it does actually look pretty good on camera.

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

CineLab

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post