#1 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

hi, im shooting a documentary with 2 dvx100a and 1 dvx100b, and ive gone through all the settings and each camera still looks different. My camera looks good, the colors are rich and saturated the colors look accurate to what they look like to the human eye , but the other 2 are flat and desaturated?
Ive white balenced under the same light, the settings are all the same, ive even lowered my settings like the chroma level to the negatives and brought up the chroma levels on the other 2 cameras,and still my camera is more colourfull?
Am I missing somthing hear??
any suggestions?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

hi, im shooting a documentary with 2 dvx100a and 1 dvx100b, and ive gone through all the settings and each camera still looks different. My camera looks good, the colors are rich and saturated the colors look accurate to what they look like to the human eye , but the other 2 are flat and desaturated?
Ive white balenced under the same light, the settings are all the same, ive even lowered my settings like the chroma level to the negatives and brought up the chroma levels on the other 2 cameras,and still my camera is more colourfull?
any suggestions?

Hi,

Try resetting all the cameras, then I am sure it will be easier to match them.

Stephen

#3 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hi,

Try resetting all the cameras, then I am sure it will be easier to match them.

Stephen

okay thanks i'll give it a try

#4 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

We did a 48 DVX100 shoot in times square for a music video once. Once setup with identical settings, we further matched cameras by adding or removing whole cameras as there could be variences between cameras that can only be adjusted by an engineer (read: not a DIT, but an EE). You don't have the same control you'd have with a Varicam or SDX900... so you just got to replace the camera.

#5 olan

olan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

Are the screens settings the same on each camera?

olan & olivier
the black sheep
director/dp/editor/colorist
brussels. belgium

#6 Ash Greyson

Ash Greyson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Director
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

any suggestions?

100B has a more natural gamma and color matrix resulting in much less chroma noise. You will need to push the 100B more toward red and even warm it up a little. You can match them, just keep this in mind.

ash =o)

#7 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

100B has a more natural gamma and color matrix resulting in much less chroma noise. You will need to push the 100B more toward red and even warm it up a little. You can match them, just keep this in mind.
ash =o)

okay thanks i'll keep that in mind

#8 Cameron Young

Cameron Young
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

Don't tear your hair out! What do you think post is for? I work in a shop that gets video from all kinds of sources; Beta, Panny 24p, sat feeds, and the like. Even on a two camera interview set up with beta cams from the same shop, things will not be identical, so I'm constantly tweaking. Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic that you are spending the time to get things close in the field, but with different cameras, lighting and background that varies, just get in the ballpark, and let your editor get it the rest of the way.

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio