6 replies to this topic

#1 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

As Jim Jannard does not post here anymore, I'll post his lates update from another forum

Hope that's OK
If I'm breaking any rules, please tell me,

Gunleik

"Time for a full update.

We stated long ago that our timeline was to show 4k footage in the fall (we were two weeks early at IBC), to assemble 1st cameras in December 2006 (we are still on track) and to beging shipping early 2007. We think that is March or April-ish (things can change).

We fully believe that we can assemble several (maybe 20-30) cameras in December for shakedown. Please don't email your request to test one of them. We will use these to fine tune everything, including the user interface. They will all be aluminum bodies. Most will be PL mount.

From now until deliveries in 2007, we will take the time to fully explain REDCODE RAW and why this should be your 1st choice for shooting. We will offer traditional RGB recording that you are all familiar with, so you don't necessarily have to pay attention. But you should. We feel very strongly about this.

The primary advantage of the RED ONE camera is shooting an incredible image with a full size S35mm size sensor with a myriad of options and choices. We want to make sure that you have a flexible workflow and sensible storage options. REDCINE will be a key part of our program and we strongly recommend that you consider this as something to become familiar with over the next few months.

You can expect a fairly comprehensive and easy to understand explanation of REDCODE RAW and REDCINE beginning November 1st. You can also expect to see prototypes that most closely approximate the final camera and RAIL/CAGE program at that time. Specs for the 18-85mm zoom will also be posted at that time, including MTF charts. The same goes for the 300mm.

We have done considerable work since IBC and you should expect to see significant advancements from what we have shown so far.

As a final note for now, we are currently working on thermal management for our camera. There will be two FPGA's onboard to manage all that is going on inside. It is like a nuclear reactor inside your toaster. Quite a challenge. Just the way we like it. If you get nervous (I'm not), go buy a set of gloves. :-)

We stated early on that we would include you in the process. We appreciate all the feedback we have received so far. Many changes have been made from ideas and opinions made by forum members. But we are getting near lock-down. It is getting pretty exciting from my point of view.

Jim"

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hi,

I am not sure you should repost in full, copyright could be an issue.

Stephen

As Jim Jannard does not post here anymore, I'll post his lates update from another forum

Hope that's OK
If I'm breaking any rules, please tell me,
Gunleik

"Time for a full update.

We stated long ago that our timeline was to show 4k footage in the fall (we were two weeks early at IBC), to assemble 1st cameras in December 2006 (we are still on track) and to beging shipping early 2007. We think that is March or April-ish (things can change).

We fully believe that we can assemble several (maybe 20-30) cameras in December for shakedown. Please don't email your request to test one of them. We will use these to fine tune everything, including the user interface. They will all be aluminum bodies. Most will be PL mount.

From now until deliveries in 2007, we will take the time to fully explain REDCODE RAW and why this should be your 1st choice for shooting. We will offer traditional RGB recording that you are all familiar with, so you don't necessarily have to pay attention. But you should. We feel very strongly about this.

The primary advantage of the RED ONE camera is shooting an incredible image with a full size S35mm size sensor with a myriad of options and choices. We want to make sure that you have a flexible workflow and sensible storage options. REDCINE will be a key part of our program and we strongly recommend that you consider this as something to become familiar with over the next few months.

You can expect a fairly comprehensive and easy to understand explanation of REDCODE RAW and REDCINE beginning November 1st. You can also expect to see prototypes that most closely approximate the final camera and RAIL/CAGE program at that time. Specs for the 18-85mm zoom will also be posted at that time, including MTF charts. The same goes for the 300mm.

We have done considerable work since IBC and you should expect to see significant advancements from what we have shown so far.

As a final note for now, we are currently working on thermal management for our camera. There will be two FPGA's onboard to manage all that is going on inside. It is like a nuclear reactor inside your toaster. Quite a challenge. Just the way we like it. If you get nervous (I'm not), go buy a set of gloves. :-)

We stated early on that we would include you in the process. We appreciate all the feedback we have received so far. Many changes have been made from ideas and opinions made by forum members. But we are getting near lock-down. It is getting pretty exciting from my point of view.

Jim"

#3 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

If the "Red" guy cant be arsed to post on here or other pro sites , dont think you should redirect his ads , on here . John Holland. London.

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3071 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

I believe Tim Tyler usually puts press releases in the News section. Also, I think he charges for advertisements...

#5 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

I'm not quite sure that JJ would want you posting that here. I assume if he wanted it here, he could post it himself. Furthermore, I assume at this point that anyone who is all that concerned about the RED would go to DVXuser, since that is the "official" forum of the RED camera.

#6 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

I'm not quite sure that JJ would want you posting that here. I assume if he wanted it here, he could post it himself. Furthermore, I assume at this point that anyone who is all that concerned about the RED would go to DVXuser, since that is the "official" forum of the RED camera.

OK.

Sorry.

I'll take it off.

Have fun!

Gunleik

#7 Eirik Tyrihjel

Eirik Tyrihjel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

OK.

Sorry.

I'll take it off.

Have fun!

Gunleik

this is in fact a subforum of cinematography.com dedicated to RED, so I don´t see why anything related to red shouldn´t be posted here...

(Brave for a first post ey?)

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

CineTape