#1 Kavin J

Kavin J

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:17 AM

Moving from writing in advertising to directing shows on television and then shooting still with a SLR camera (available light), I?ve finally decided that cinematography is it for me. Now, I jumped into the pool, assisted on a film writing camera reports. I plan to apply to colleges and study. But after checking out how much one needs to pay, I think I need to think again.
I was wondering if schools do usually grant scholarships if you have a body of work to show even if it?s directing and stills. And I would also wonder if someone has the database for all the schools that teach cinematography in the world but in English language. I?ve been looking around Australia and Canada too but still can?t find a good school that teaches on 35mm. I?ll be more then glad to hear any piece of advice too.

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

Moving from writing in advertising to directing shows on television and then shooting still with a SLR camera (available light), I?ve finally decided that cinematography is it for me. Now, I jumped into the pool, assisted on a film writing camera reports. I plan to apply to colleges and study. But after checking out how much one needs to pay, I think I need to think again.
I was wondering if schools do usually grant scholarships if you have a body of work to show even if it?s directing and stills. And I would also wonder if someone has the database for all the schools that teach cinematography in the world but in English language. I?ve been looking around Australia and Canada too but still can?t find a good school that teaches on 35mm. I?ll be more then glad to hear any piece of advice too.

I wouldn't count on a scholarship simply from your body of work. That will probably help you get in, though. You might want to look at something other than a 4-year or 2-year program. Anybody know if the Maine Workshops still offer 35mm classes? I went to the website and I didn't see any cinematography courses. Still expensive as I recall. I'm sure others can give better advice, but no place is going to be cheap.

Take a look for yourself...maybe I missed it:

http://www.theworksh...shops/index.asp

Best of luck.

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Glidecam

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post