#1 Kavin J

Kavin J

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

Moving from writing in advertising to directing shows on television and then shooting still with a SLR camera (available light), I?ve finally decided that cinematography is it for me. Now, I jumped into the pool, assisted on a film writing camera reports. I plan to apply to colleges and study. But after checking out how much one has to pay, I think I need to think again.
I was wondering if schools do usually grant scholarships if you have a body of work to show even if it?s directing and stills. And I was wondering if someone has the database for all the schools that teach cinematography in the world but in English language. I?ve been looking around Australia and Canada too but still can?t find a good school that teaches on 35mm. I?ll be more then glad to hear any piece of advice too.

Edited by Kavin J, 29 September 2006 - 10:21 AM.

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

Moving from writing in advertising to directing shows on television and then shooting still with a SLR camera (available light), I?ve finally decided that cinematography is it for me. Now, I jumped into the pool, assisted on a film writing camera reports. I plan to apply to colleges and study. But after checking out how much one has to pay, I think I need to think again.
I was wondering if schools do usually grant scholarships if you have a body of work to show even if it?s directing and stills. And I was wondering if someone has the database for all the schools that teach cinematography in the world but in English language. I?ve been looking around Australia and Canada too but still can?t find a good school that teaches on 35mm. I?ll be more then glad to hear any piece of advice too.

I don't believe that you're going to find the education you're looking for that is specific to cinematography. Some schools do touch on it, but aren't necessarily all about it. Even the "premiere" environments, like AFI, tend toward 16mm and HD now (unless something has changed recently).

I might suggest that you concentrate instead on finding and spending your money on cinematography lighting workshops, seminars, or shorter term workshops such as the one in Rockport, Maine. The ASC has occasional lighting workshops as well. http://www.theasc.co..._dibie_mole.htm for example.

I would also HIGHLY recommend that you spend a significant amount of time in an edit bay, either cutting for yourself or observing someone else. It's all well and good to build a fantastic frame and have it lit like a master, but you are also shooting shots that are to be cut together. Having the hands-on experience of having to cut together footage that wasn't shot well will help make you a better cameraman and more valuable to the Director.

I've got a list on my website of some additional resources that might help guide you in the right direction. www.whatireallywanttodo.com

Good luck!

#3 Kavin J

Kavin J

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

Thanks a ton Brian Dzyak,

Well, I've looked up Maine Rockport and I did email them my resume. I got a reply saying that I could enrol myself for a year and I could become a cinematographer. But I don?t know why I?m sceptical about Rockport. May be it?s got something to do with the cinematographer I worked for, who attended AFI. According to him I should take up a full time 2-3 year graduate course. I guess, I do agree with him on that. I?ve very little experience of lighting, little knowledge of cameras and lenses. Besides I?m not based in US so I couldn?t just hop in for a course unless I?m sure about it.
I?ve heard and read that Chapman, USC and of course AFI do have good courses in cinematography. I wonder if there are more schools like that, a wee bit cheaper, if possible. Like today I read about Columbia college, Chicago.
I wouldn?t mind to hear from someone who attended Rockport and have done a few course in order to learn cinematography and what they have to say about it.
I?m really glad for your advice and I hope to go back to the editing table and observe how other shoot. Thanks again for your valuable time and advice.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets