• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

There used to be a list of recommended lenses put out by Abel Cine Tech. I included an attachment of this list. On the list they recommended the Canon 50-300 T4.5 FD lens. To see this lens, please click here:

Canon 50-300 FD

However, the Nikon 50-300 T4.5 ED lens is not on this list. I have noticed that several accomplished wildlife cinematographers have mentioned the Nikon lens as part of their lens arsenel. See these links for instance:

Arri Package with Nikon 50-300 T4.5

Wildlife Filmmaker Equipment

Also, when Optex was in business they mentioned it alongside the Canon 50-300mm. This link concerns the conversion of these lenses to universal lens mounts:

Optex Conversions

Lastly, at Ron Dexter's website the Canon and Nikon 50-300mm are mentioned. He states that these lenses are "not bad." Also, he says that the Canon changes speed while zooming. Please see this link:

Ron Dexter on Nikon and Canon 50-300mm

After all of this, my question is why was the Nikon 50-300mm ED lens left off of the Abel CineTech list of lenses? Is the lens somehow less suitable to Super-16 filmmaking than the Canon?

Thank you,
Mike Welle
Charleston, SC

Attached Images

• Abellenses.jpg

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

I've got the Canon 50-300 FD zoom, which I use for 35mm. (It was converted to Arri bayonet mount.) It's nice and light. Despite the reviewer's quotes, I've found the stop to be quite consistent thoughout the zoom range. The sharpness is very close to that of my 300mm Zeiss Sonnar prime, even when zoomed all the way. One cool thing with this lens is that you can in get twice as close as with the prime for ultra close ups.

#3 Mike Welle

Mike Welle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to clarify that Ron Dexter said the lens changes zoom speed throughout its range, not lens stop. I own an Eclair ACL. Nikon to TS adapters are manufactured by George Zorzoli as well as Les Bosher. With the addition of this adapter, there would be no modification needed to be made to the lens mount if I purchased the Nikon 50-300mm ED. It is also much more readily available on Ebay than the Canon 50-300 FD. So, I must admit that I envy you--especially since this lens is put on Abel Cine's list of recommended Super-16 lenses and the Nikon is not. Alas, what a snob filmmaking makes out of one.

"In religion, what damned error, but some sober brow may bless it and approve it with a text hiding the grossness with fair ornament." Bassanio in "Merchant of Venice"

Mike Welle
Charleston, SC

I've got the Canon 50-300 FD zoom, which I use for 35mm. (It was converted to Arri bayonet mount.) It's nice and light. Despite the reviewer's quotes, I've found the stop to be quite consistent thoughout the zoom range. The sharpness is very close to that of my 300mm Zeiss Sonnar prime, even when zoomed all the way. One cool thing with this lens is that you can in get twice as close as with the prime for ultra close ups.

Edited by Mike Welle, 30 September 2006 - 05:57 PM.

Wooden Camera

CineTape

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC