#1 John Skolits

John Skolits

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

I have an old consumer model 16 mm camera of my uncle's and want to find some film for it and also where I might get it developed. I believe the camera is from the 50's. It's a wind up type with a single lense.

Thanks,

John

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

You can buy film directly from Kodak or many other places like here:

http://www.raw-stock.com/

Process here:

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/

Do a search the subject has been covered plenty. There is hundreds of other places.
Which camera do you have and how do you know it's 16mm?

#3 John Skolits

John Skolits

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:20 PM

The camera is a Kestone Model A-16mm. There is no audio. It's very basic.
The serial number is 323-759.

I did see many types of film to buy but not sure how many feet I need or, since it has no audio, if they even make film for it anymore.

Are there different ASA settings for these films? There is no ASA setting on the camera. The lense only allows F Stop settings. (Full Open to F 11) There is also no focusing for the lense.

You can buy film directly from Kodak or many other places like here:

http://www.raw-stock.com/

Process here:

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/

Do a search the subject has been covered plenty. There is hundreds of other places.
Which camera do you have and how do you know it's 16mm?

#4 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

I believe that takes 100 foot daylight spools. That's about 2 1/2 minutes at 24fps. You can shoot at 18fps, if the camera allows it for more filming time.

You need to decide what ASA film you want. I recomend a higher speed film. You also need to decide if you want negative or positive film. Exposure is controled by the aperture according to the filming speed. You will need a light meter to figure out your exposure.

It's strange that the lens provides no focusing. Are you sure it's not frozen? If it's fixed focus then most likely everything will be in focus from about 5 feet on.

Most film now is single perf. There are holes on one side of the film only. I am not sure, but you camera may need double perf. Just pointing this out so you don't get the wrong film.

I would hold off on buying film for that camera for now, till you know exactly what you want, you learn more, the camera works, and everything with it is ok. It's very likely this camera has been sitting for 50+ years, and may not work properly.

#5 John Skolits

John Skolits

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

I mean a Keystone camera.

#6 John Skolits

John Skolits

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

It's actually in excellent condition. Double Perf. There is no way to adjust the speed. The lense moves freely but there is only one ring to move. The plate on the front recommends the following settings:

Cloudy Sun
Close Up 3.5 6.3
Average Views 4.5 8
Lanscape 6.3 11
Sky-Snow-Sky 8 16

This implies only one type of ASA film.

I wind it up and it seems to last about 35 seconds before it starts to slow down. I guess I could wind it more, but not sure if it will break if I over do it.

#7 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

The recomended settings seem to indicate 32-50 ASA. If it has one speed, then it's probably 16 or 18 fps. 35 seconds is pretty good.

Edited by Mike Rizos, 01 October 2006 - 10:00 PM.

#8 John Skolits

John Skolits

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:26 PM

Well, I did a quick search on the internet and checked out the Yale Film & Video site. I didn't see that numer combination of 32-50. (32/50?)
http://www.yalefilma...d_35mm.htm#16MM
Here's what they had.

7201 Vision2 50 / 12 (80A) 46.00
7205 Vision2 250 / 64 (80A) 46.00
7212 Vision2 64 / 100 (85) 46.00
7217 Vision2 125 / 200 (85) 46.00
7218 Vision2 320 / 500 (85) 46.00

Are you saying the first number they show can be from 32 to 50.?

Mike, Thanks for you help.

John

#9 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:00 PM

I meant anywhere from 32-50 ASA would work ok if you went with the recomended aperture settings. So ASA 50 would work for a decent exposure.
On your film list you see two ASA numbers. The first is for daylight rating, the second for tungsten. To complicate matters some film is rated daylight and needs a filter for tungsten, some film is rated tungsten and needs a filter for daylight. The numbers in parenthesis are the filter numbers. To simplify if you get Vision 2 ASA 50D you won't need a filter for daylight shooting, but you will need filter 80A for tungsten and that will change the film to ASA 12.

But you can use a film rated 200 ASA and compensate(close down the aperture 2 stops) further than you would with ASA 50. If you use ASA 100 you would close down one stop.
It is better by far to use a light meter.

#10 Herb Montes

Herb Montes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • Gulf Coast of Texas

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

Sounds like you may have this model. From 1930 and a very basic camera.

http://members.chell.../keystonea2.jpg

If you find you like shooting 16mm you may want to get a later model like an A-9 or A-12 which show up on eBay quite often. I still have my old A-9.

#11 Zachary Vex

Zachary Vex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

Fuji still makes some double-perf 16mm stock. look here:

http://www.fujifilmu...avBarId=C527314

of course, you can certainly find some old 2R stock around. Kodak didn't discontinue it that long ago... it was within the last year.

#12 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

Fuji still makes some double-perf 16mm stock.

Since the original poster really wants to see if the camera works inexpensivly, I would sugest he try Jand C photo and get a roll of Double perf FOMA 16mm film. Price $23.99 a roll That is 100 ASA, so he will have to stop down two stops as his camera is probaly expecting film arround 25 ASA.

http://jandcphoto.com/
http://blackandwhitefilmfactory.com/

In other words fi the Guide says use F5.6 you would want F11 for F8 use f16 and so on.

The foma film is reversal so it can be procesed and make a projectable result without the extra steps that are used for Pro productions. If you can't find a lab to process it , try Black and White film factory in Toronto.

I would agree that the Keystone A series A-3 A-7 A-9 are actually one of the better values in the Pre-war home movie cameras. Most have an adjustment for shooting speed. Their were two different lenses, one IS fixed focus, and fairly low, about f4 as i recall, the otehr was a 1 Inch F 1.9 Wollensack. Which si sharp as a tack if a bit prone to flare. The Keystones that I have all need a cleaning as they can run a bit slow, partiularly in the cold.

If you later do want to run Colour negative in the camera, it is posible to order Double perf stock from Kodak, but they don't stock it and so you may have to split an order with a friend or 10.

#13 John Skolits

John Skolits

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:39 AM

:) This is all great info.

Yes, I just want to try this for fun. My dad's 8mm films are as clear as can be from the 50's and 60's and I'd love for my kids to have some footage while they are still relatively young. I'm sure I'll get some looks when I'm filming with an old 16mm camera.

All the info you guys provided will really help.

Thank you all!

John

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera