#1 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hi everyone, I am totally new to this forum, I am a young photographer from Montreal, I will be directing the photography for a music video next tuesday, this is not my first video but I am still unfamiliar with the flicker thing as I did not study cinematography. The video takes place in an hotel room, looks a lot like the Richard Ashcroft "song for the lovers" video, (), in terms of lighting, just a little less moody. Lighting is a mix of Fresnels 300-650-1k, Open face 2K, kino flo 4x4 and 2x4 and practicals (up to 4 in the frame at times) and a window gelled with 1/2 CTO. I think everything is 60HZ in the room, I am quite worried about safe speed for all this. The director wants to shoot part of video at 18fps, which I believe is not a safe speed at all shutter angles and shutter speeds. I would rather not touch the shutter, am a bit too green for this! Should I suggest shooting at 20FPS, or 15FPS? Is 24 FPS a safe speed also? I do not want to mess this up and it is quite hard to do any tests prior to shooting, I will go along with my ass. cam tomorrow to try to run some test alongside his but I don't think I'll get to view it prior to tuesday. I'd like an insight from the pros! I am shooting on the Arri Sr3. 500T Vision2 and transferring on either Quadra or Spirit. Also, should I worry a lot about the practicals, I intend in putting a 25W lightbulb, maybe painting one side black or taping it, the lamps are not bare bulbs, I will never see a bulb really but I don't want to kill all details over around the lamps. I do not have access to dimmers for the practicals.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, Sorry for this long post!! Thank you very very much!

Christophe Collette
www.christophecollette.com

#2 TJ Williams

TJ Williams
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

flicker is a problem for some speeds and shutter angles when shooting with HMI lighting. It looks to me like most of your lighting is quartz. Quartz lighting does not have this problem. just use whatever speeds you want and have the light for. Remember that the film must be transferred at the same rate as shot to sync with the song if the characters are lip syncing. This is very cool in the 4 to 6 FPS range and the smeary person is still in sync and makes a very interesting look. Also easy on the film budget!. as for the squeezers for practicals just go down to the hardware store buy single boxes a male female edison plug a little wire and a dining room style dimmer to dim quartz type bulbs (not flourescents) in lamps etc. this will give you a more natural practical in the frame and won't cost much at all. (also good to have in the ole kit next time)
Best of luck
TJ

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery