3 replies to this topic

#1 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

I'm currently renting equipment for a S16 student short in NYC. We need to rent camera from the same place as G&E for deposit/insurance restrictions on the budget. After reviewing possible places, the most price-friendly place seems to be Handheld Films. However, I've read two or three reviews of the place (only by NYU students, however) that sound pretty horrible (equipment scheduled not available on pickup, students aren't treated profesionally, etc.). Does anyone here have any experience with the place? Thanks in advance.

#2 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

Try us (CSC)! Handheld's equipment is not in the best shape and their staff is smaller. They're okay for some stuff but overall I would say either CSC or TCS is a better bet. Or you could try Cine Photo Tech which is where we rented from for the job I'm on now...Moviecam Compact package, so far we are reasonably satisfied but then again it's only the first day. The only catch is I don't know what sort of G&E deal you'd be able to get on the aforementioned places- that's not really my neck of the woods.

My other suggestion would be to see if you can find a DP/operator who has his/her own camera. A friend of mine shot her SVA thesis using the DP's personal gear and it worked out pretty well.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

It would be unprofessional of me to speak out about any other rental house no matter how I might feel about them. That said, give us a call at Abel Cine Tech and perhaps we can help you out.

#4 mattuhry

mattuhry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:32 PM

I've had a great camera package for the Strokes "Juicebox" from CSC, all new all perfect no problems whatsoever. Not sure about the price... doesn't hurt to ask.

Matt Uhry DP LA
www.fuzby.com

CineTape

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products