Photo

Canon 518 SV - is the tungsten/daylight filter automatic?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Silvia Turchin

Silvia Turchin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

Hi there,

I bought a Canon 518 SV Super 8mm camera not too long ago, as well as some Ektachrome 64 T tungsten balanced film. I want to shoot outside and was wondering if the filter is automatic or if I need to press down the key on top of the camera. Actually, the key is missing, so I'm using a quarter. The guys at the camera shop have given me conflicting answers about whether to press it down or not.

When I look through the gate, I can't detect any difference betweeen when the key (quarter) is in or out.

Can anybody clarify this for me soon? I'm taking off to London in a few days and would love to know before then....

Thank you!!
Silvia

#2 jacob thomas

jacob thomas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

Nice purchase, it's a nice camera for the price that it usually goes at.

The filter should be in place when you insert a tungsten balanced stock like E64T.
You won't see it (whether it is in or out) because it is behind the beamsplitter for the viewfinder.
A filter key or quarter in the filter key slot will disable the filter, so you don't need to stick anything in that slot unless you're shooting in tungsten light.

The only thing that you might consider is: E64T requires an 85B filter which is slightly different from the 85 filter which was built into most super 8 cameras. You could screw on an 85B filter and disable the built in filter but for most people the difference between an film shot with an 85 and a 85B is not worth the hassle. Plus if you are shooting for telecine the slight blueness can be corrected then.

Good luck

#3 Silvia Turchin

Silvia Turchin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

Nice purchase, it's a nice camera for the price that it usually goes at.

The filter should be in place when you insert a tungsten balanced stock like E64T.
You won't see it (whether it is in or out) because it is behind the beamsplitter for the viewfinder.
A filter key or quarter in the filter key slot will disable the filter, so you don't need to stick anything in that slot unless you're shooting in tungsten light.

The only thing that you might consider is: E64T requires an 85B filter which is slightly different from the 85 filter which was built into most super 8 cameras. You could screw on an 85B filter and disable the built in filter but for most people the difference between an film shot with an 85 and a 85B is not worth the hassle. Plus if you are shooting for telecine the slight blueness can be corrected then.

Good luck

Thank you, your answer is very helpful! I'll look into the 85B filter. I think I overpaid for the camera, though...200USD. Should have looked on e-bay before, but was at a camera shop and just bought it. But glad you seem to think it's a good camera.

#4 Randy Sowder

Randy Sowder

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

Thank you, your answer is very helpful! I'll look into the 85B filter. I think I overpaid for the camera, though...200USD. Should have looked on e-bay before, but was at a camera shop and just bought it. But glad you seem to think it's a good camera.

I just purchased my Canon 518 SV on Ebay for $52. I have not run any film through it yet, but everything seems to work, including the auto zoom. However, it did not come with the manual. Anyone know where I can get one for free? ;) Buying on Ebay can be risky. The last one I purchased on there didn't work. I may have just gotten lucky this time :rolleyes:

CineTape

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies