6 replies to this topic

#1 Kirk Anderson

Kirk Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

So, I just won an auction on ebay for a fixed 25fps motor, it had a low price and seemed like a cool thing to have. My hope is that it is a Crystal motor that was overlooked by most ebayers, although I won't be too bummed if it's not.
Anyone seen one of these or could identify whether it's sync or not by the look?
I won't have it for prolly over a week, so this will be interesting to discuss before it arrives..

Here's the ebay item number: 190036343896

I also saw this sweet blimp, although I don't think I'll buy it, it did have a motor like the one I purchased included and it called it a synch, check it out: 250034972754

So, either crystal sync or not, is there any place or anyone that could modify this motor to 24FPS?

Also, If I did shoot a sync sound film, with ANY camera, how hard would it be to use 25FPS in america, would editing and telecines be impossible or just a pain in the ass.

Just some ideas before my motor arrives from sweden.

thanks guys!
kirk

#2 Jan Weis

Jan Weis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Student
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

I hope this arri S motor works, I bought a fixed speed 24 fps constant speed motor on ebay about a month ago also listed as ''not tested'' and well when i recieved and put it in the camera it didnt work.

I dont mean to sound to negative but this seller clearly states ''no return'' right after the words not tested so dont be suprised if it wont work.

I hope it does though, honest.

#3 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

you can have motors rewound so they work again better than new

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:53 PM

Kirk,

Not sure what power source you use for that motor, and do not know of a way to convert it to 24 fps. With all the issues you will run into with shooting sync sound with an Arriflex 16S, I think the 25 fps will be one of the least of your worries. Don't get me wrong, you can shoot sync sound with the camera if it is properly blimped or barneyed, and you are using a sync motor, it is just a bit more challenging.

If you pick up a regular 25 fps constant speed motor, those can be adjusted so they run 24 fps, I have done those in the past. As far as the motor you bought off of ebay, never seen or worked on one of those, so I really couldn't say.

-Tim

#5 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

That motor is a AC synchronous blimp motor to be used with the arri-s blimp and special power supply, probably 42volts. Even if it came with the powersupply, which it does not, it would still require 240VAC 50Hz to run. And even then it would be a synch motor it the modern term. But it could be used with a pilotone sync system, with a nagra, a resolver and an old dubber.

#6 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

I just looked at the other auction for the blimp. The motor with that blimp is the very same one you got except it's power supply run on US current 120VAC 60Hz. If you had a step down transfomer with a 42V output you might get your motor to work, but many of those european motors are 3phase, so you may still be out o luck unless you get a special capacitor to make up the missing phase leg. And even then you would be using a sync frequency faster than the 50Hz it requires. You would be using 60Hz so the motor would drive the camera faster than 25fps.

If I were you I would go for he blimp. I have one and love it. But you need a huge support head underneath it. I use a mitchell friction head or a worrall geared head. Here is a short film I shot with an arri-s in a blimp. Except I used a Tobin crystal sync motor instead of the AC sync motor:

http://owyheesound.c...ge_and_reed.wmv

And here are a few more details about the arri-s blimp:

http://owyheesound.c...x-16_blimp.html

Edited by nathan snyder, 03 October 2006 - 07:24 PM.

#7 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:33 PM

So, I just won an auction on ebay for a fixed 25fps motor, it had a low price and seemed like a cool thing to have. My hope is that it is a Crystal motor that was overlooked by most ebayers, although I won't be too bummed if it's not.
Anyone seen one of these or could identify whether it's sync or not by the look?
I won't have it for prolly over a week, so this will be interesting to discuss before it arrives..

Here's the ebay item number: 190036343896

I also saw this sweet blimp, although I don't think I'll buy it, it did have a motor like the one I purchased included and it called it a synch, check it out: 250034972754

So, either crystal sync or not, is there any place or anyone that could modify this motor to 24FPS?

Also, If I did shoot a sync sound film, with ANY camera, how hard would it be to use 25FPS in america, would editing and telecines be impossible or just a pain in the ass.

Just some ideas before my motor arrives from sweden.

thanks guys!
kirk

You could check with Olexandr. He modified my Kinor from 25fps to 6 speeds 48, 32, 24, 16... He's in Ukraine but I guess his price will compensate for the postage if you compare to US prices.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

FJS International, LLC