5 replies to this topic

#1 bragis chut

bragis chut
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:41 AM

I've been talking with a camera repair house in LA that has an SRII package for rent with a set of new lumina lenses. I guess they're a russian lense... supposedly comparable to the zeiss superspeeds. I just wanted to know if anyone has used them and has any opinions on the subject.

Thanks,

--Bragi

#2 Mike Williamson

Mike Williamson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:58 AM

I used a set of Optika lenses on a feature over the summer, which I believe are basically a different generation of the same glass as Illuminas. This set had the same focal lengths as Zeiss: 9.5, 12, 16, 25 and 50mm. I was very pleased with how they looked, very sharp and crisp overall, I liked the feel of them and I felt the sharpness was a really helping me with S16. I'm not sure how much they vary from set to set.

I do know that I'd take them any day over most of the 16mm sets of Superspeeds that I've come across, most of which have been soft and mismatched. God forbid you get a set of Mk I's, the crazy triangular apertures looks terrible. I had a really nice set of Superspeeds for a 35mm feature that I shot and they were great, but somehow I haven't seen any 16mm sets that have impressed me, maybe I've had bad luck or something.

I know Mitch Gross has had some experience and posted on the Illumina lenses previously, perhaps you could check the archives for some of his thoughts on these lenses. I'd be interested in anything Mitch knows about them, as they've gone through a variety of different names and the construction has been steadily improved over the years, but it's tough to keep track of.

#3 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:20 AM

I've been talking with a camera repair house in LA that has an SRII package for rent with a set of new lumina lenses. I guess they're a russian lense... supposedly comparable to the zeiss superspeeds. I just wanted to know if anyone has used them and has any opinions on the subject.

Thanks,

--Bragi

I have a set Optar Illumina's. They are sharp and consistant. That is not just my opinion. When I transferred some footage at Encore in Hollywood on a Spirit 2K the colorist remarked on how sharp they were. The 8mm lens is killer. I love it and use it all the time - plus it is a T1.3 lens.
:) :)

#4 bragis chut

bragis chut
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

I have a set Optar Illumina's. They are sharp and consistant. That is not just my opinion. When I transferred some footage at Encore in Hollywood on a Spirit 2K the colorist remarked on how sharp they were. The 8mm lens is killer. I love it and use it all the time - plus it is a T1.3 lens.

Thanks for the info. I checked the forums and found some more good tidbits. Seems a lot of people don't like the lenses new, as they sometimes need to be colimated and checked out, tightenede, etc... Strange. Would have thought a new lense was better than an old lense. Live and learn.

#5 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

I glad see good opinion about russian lenses.
A some informatin.
Oprat Illumima, modern generation of russian OKS, OPF lenses, made in Krasnogorsk factory near Moskov.
The other famous russian modern lenses Elite Optics.( made in St-Petersburg )
All this lenses use russian theory of design and calculation of optical systems.
The previous version of Oprat Illumina russian prime lenses OKS ( Normal 16 film gate ) of Kinor-16, 16SP and other cameras.

The many users have good opinion about russian zoom lenses 16 OPF-1-2M, 12-120 mm, 16 OPF-12-1 10-100 mm too.

About opinion of colimate and check of lens
The any lenses, new or used, must be check before shooting with collimator.
The lens can change adjust with storage a some time. The volume of bolt or screw rings tightening depend on final flange focal distance.
The flange focal distance mist be change after transportation of lenses, thats' why, you need use special hard cases with soft packing of lens inside.
That's why, the cameras and lenses must have service, test and adjust.

#6 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

I glad see good opinion about russian lenses.
The any lenses, new or used, must be check before shooting with collimator.
That's why, the cameras and lenses must have service, test and adjust.

And the Russian Lenses seem to need this more than some others. I reall selling ZENIT 35mm SLR back in the 1970s and the importer braging that of course they opened them up and adjusted then beofre they shipped them out.

I don't know if the shipping in the FSU is prticularly rough, or if the factories asumed that the dealers would in efect do an overhall beofre relasing the product to the cutomer, or if the soviet consumer was expected to practice making reatirs before they were deemed worthy of the use of the product.

Only Soviet camera I had myself were a pair of SMELMA 8a, which I purchased to give one to a teenager to teach him how to take picitures. One of the two I bought from "freestyle" in Hollywood worked properly.

This probaly explains the remark that the used one are Better than the new. It also is a reson why I am reluctant to try and gat a K-3 even though it is VERY Intriguing. The cost to ship it back if defective would be more than the price of the camera if purchased from a dealer in the FSU (Former Soviet Union)

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Tai Audio