Demian Barba
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • brooklyn, NY

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

HI,

I am shooting a feature in Algeria with the HVX-200. The entire camera package is comming from New York and finding acesories over there will be almost impossible.
I have shot several times with the HVX but never for long periods like this (1 and a half months) . Is there anything I should take extra items off? What is your experience with this camera?

Thanks

#2 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

HI,

I am shooting a feature in Algeria with the HVX-200. The entire camera package is comming from New York and finding acesories over there will be almost impossible.
I have shot several times with the HVX but never for long periods like this (1 and a half months) . Is there anything I should take extra items off? What is your experience with this camera?

Thanks

My experience is good -;)

Have a field monitor capable of 720 - the Panny is lovely
Plenty of p2 cards & a p2 reader + at least one firestore + extra batteries for the firestore
Extra batteries - like 4-5 if you're unsure of when you can charge

Have fun!

Gunleik

#3 Paul Nordin

Paul Nordin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Emeryville, CA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

Actually, I have to differ slightly from Gunleik's advice. Not that I think he is wrong, exactly, just that I am not a fan of the limitation of the firestore. I think a few P2 Cards & a P2Store are quite sufficient for feature work. I've shot 4 features this year with the HVX using 2 4GB P2-cards and one P2 Store. I've almost never had to delay production to wait for downloading. And the ability to record 720PN with the frame rate & playback flexibility has been very useful.

#4 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

Actually, I have to differ slightly from Gunleik's advice. Not that I think he is wrong, exactly, just that I am not a fan of the limitation of the firestore. I think a few P2 Cards & a P2Store are quite sufficient for feature work. I've shot 4 features this year with the HVX using 2 4GB P2-cards and one P2 Store. I've almost never had to delay production to wait for downloading. And the ability to record 720PN with the frame rate & playback flexibility has been very useful.

Agreed.

I was just taking into account that you could find yourself far and away from elctricity (even in the midst of a city) for quite a while as local infrastructural facilities could have some impact on the production.

But for sure!

Gunleik

#5 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

hi i'v no experience with hvx but i shot a short in algeria for 15 days and a commercial for 3 weeks in 35
if you need any info about the contry i'll be glad to help you.
it's a great country with fantastic people.

#6 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

And the ability to record 720PN with the frame rate & playback flexibility has been very useful.

I was under the impression that firestore was now capable of 720pn/varying framerate capture. Am I wrong?

#7 Gunleik Groven

Gunleik Groven
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

I was under the impression that firestore was now capable of 720pn/varying framerate capture. Am I wrong?

That is true, but you'llneed to use the FrameRateConverter to get rid of the extra frames.

Gunleik

Glidecam

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

Visual Products

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine