Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:28 PM

Hi,

i hae developed some test stripes of kodak negs using c41 and there was some blueish aspect in some parts (while others were fine) that made the negative very dense. Would it be because little bleaching? Also, could I re-bleach it (I am using tenetal kit that has a bleach/fix together). The kit also has a 'stabiliser', I presume I sshould not use it untill all the bleach was done. Thanks for any help.

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:29 AM

Can you post an image?

If you say it's bluish in parts, are you saying it is streaked?

As you ask about "little bleaching" do you suspect that you didn't bleach/fix for long enough? If so, that could lead to some silver being retained in the image which would certainly add to the density: also it could result in retention of silver halide, which would make a cloudy film rather than clear.

Rebleaching won't do any harm, and if you haven't completed the reaction first time around it should improve the results.

#3 David Venhaus

David Venhaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Other
  • Wiseburn, CA

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:59 AM

I have developed ECN films in C41 before and the negs should look like normal negs processed in ECN. There maybe some slight color shifts from not using the chemicals the film was designed for but I doubt that it could be noticed just by looking at the neg. I have not before encountered what you are describing. Is it possible that some parts of the film were somehow exposed? As Dominic said, you could try re-bleach/fixing it without harm to it, if that is the problem.

#4 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

I have developed ECN films in C41 before and the negs should look like normal negs processed in ECN. There maybe some slight color shifts from not using the chemicals the film was designed for but I doubt that it could be noticed just by looking at the neg. I have not before encountered what you are describing. Is it possible that some parts of the film were somehow exposed? As Dominic said, you could try re-bleach/fixing it without harm to it, if that is the problem.

thanks all for the answers and after rebleaching it was all good. but what a pain to take the carbon layer!

Edited by Richardson Leao, 08 October 2006 - 11:20 PM.

#5 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

what a pain to take the carbon layer!

If rebleaching and fixing did the job for you, then it was silver, not carbon, that was the problem.

Photography doesn't work without silver. Colour images don't work (properly) unless you remove it. Colour negative film processing is a remarkably elegant combination of processes that take advantage of quite sophisticated chemistry. You are doing the easy bit. Where's the pain? Try building the emulsion to work in the first place!

#6 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

If rebleaching and fixing did the job for you, then it was silver, not carbon, that was the problem.

Photography doesn't work without silver. Colour images don't work (properly) unless you remove it. Colour negative film processing is a remarkably elegant combination of processes that take advantage of quite sophisticated chemistry. You are doing the easy bit. Where's the pain? Try building the emulsion to work in the first place!

thanks Dominic! And I agree... Anyway, what I was refering to was how hard (before the developing) it was to get the jetlayer off...

#7 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

Anyway, what I was refering to was how hard (before the developing) it was to get the jetlayer off...

ah! I misunderstood . . .you see, we have machines that do that quite effortlessly B)

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Abel Cine